Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Post Your Favorite Music/Video Clips

Post Your Favorite Music/Video Clips 14 years 1 week ago #2810

In 2009 we saw a performance by the “Carolina Chocolate Drops” in San Diego – our first introduction to this great group. Rhiannon Giddens, playing fiddle/banjo, came out on stage barefoot – asked if all the lights could be turned since she wanted to “see” the audience she was playing to -and began a spellbinding performance!. We were hooked! Their music is a cross (in my view) between old-timey, bluegrass & blues.
They are a new group (2005) so much of their material is on YouTube – some favorites are “Cornbread and Butterbeans” – with fiddle/banjo –
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xOxHyTP91c
and “Wayward Girl” with DoBro guitar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kactUjHB2PM&feature=related

I keep following at their tour schedule – but they haven’t appeared near here. This March, they are playing at the Black Banjo Gathering in NC.

Enjoy!
  • ponhook_pickers
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Post Your Favorite Music/Video Clips 14 years 5 days ago #2841

The "Chocolate Drops" are great. Actually their style is Piedmont (Eastern NC and Va) Black String Band Music. They give a great show, as I am sure you can atest. I saw them at the Sugar Grove Festival (Boone, NC) last summer and they had a lengthy interview recently on National Public Radio. They have lots of personality and energy.
  • Kmando
  • User is blocked

Re:Post Your Favorite Music/Video Clips 14 years 4 days ago #2851

I love this clip. It's not bluegrass but blues, a song by Rev Gary Davis, Piedmont style. These guys are among a great group of players keeping that style and the memory of Rev. Davis alive.

I've seen them play live probably thirty of forty times in the last forty years (yes, forty)-I clearly am a bit obsessed.... This is an exceptional quality clip with great audio from a blues festival in Italy last year. Even though they have the name of the song incorrect, it's "Hesitation Blues". Exceptional musicians, all three of them....

Ed
  • edbird
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Re:Post Your Favorite Music/Video Clips 14 years 4 days ago #2853

Ponhook, that type of music was always playing in street corners in New Orleans when I was growing up,only instead of banjos they would play "washboards". My dad just loved it and would stay watching these groups for hours....great memories...thanks! :)
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Re:Post Your Favorite Music/Video Clips 14 years 2 days ago #2863

A great youtube find, he is written up in the new issue of Acoustic Guitar Magazine.

Trained in jazz, fingerstyle blues and hip hop, he does very cool solo fingerstyle instrumentals of Stevie Wonder, Michael Jackson, Beatles, Chick Corea, etc. tunes. A great groove and very talented!! Watch a few!!

• edbird
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Re:Post Your Favorite Music/Video Clips 14 years 18 hours ago #2871

RE the Video clip "Hesitation Blues" a song by Rev. Gary Davis

A really enjoyable clip - and some great guitar work.
I did a lookup on the group Hot Tuna - they have been around a long time!! their singles hit was in 1972 - going way back!!

Started listening to a few more clips - especially enjoyed Candy Man - also with some great guitar work and a nice blend of mandolin.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oDMLhmCoTIY&feature=related
  • ponhook_pickers
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds