Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Learning to use the Metronome

Learning to use the Metronome 15 years 7 months ago #115

Will I learned how to use the Metronome to night in class and realize how useful it can be for a beginner to work at geting the melody to come out right and get the tempo right. I wonder How many use a metronome. What abut it any of you using it on a regular basis? Has it help you to learn the tempo any better then just trying to wing it?
  • graypeddler
  • Junior Boarder
Graypeddler
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Learning to use the Metronome 15 years 7 months ago #116

I use the metronome but not as regularly as I should (probably once or twice a week).

It really helps. I try to set it up so that it ticks eighth notes and has a different chirp for the first beat of the measure. It will help you get the timing of the various rolls, and can be indispensable for trying to turn tablature into recognizable music. Timing is everything.

Another plus about using the metronome is that it provides a constant benchmark reference as to your playing speed. I'm NOT advocating pushing your playing speed too fast too soon, but the more you play a particular piece at a given speed, you will find it comes smoother and easier with the practice. The metronome helps you realize this. It won't take long before what seemed a daunting speed feels comfortable (through lots of practice!)

Cheers,
Chris
  • ckinzel

Re:Learning to use the Metronome 15 years 1 month ago #599

Today was one of those lessons where almost everthing clicked. I have used the metronome at home with a small measure of success. Today however, I learned to use it correctly. Wow! what a difference. I am impressed. Now, the metronome is my friend and not another source of frustration.
  • pinky57
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Learning to use the Metronome 15 years 1 month ago #603

"The metronome is my friend, it could save my life one day"
  • screendude
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Learning to use the Metronome 15 years 1 month ago #607

Saves your life, almost like a capo! Especially if you don't have a circle of 5ths cheat sheet handy to modulate with! Chris is right, it will help turn TABS into music. I use mine to get a feel for the speed of a piece. If you know the beats per min, and the time per measure, you can set up the metronome and program your brain for the timing. You can determine a good strum pattern for the rhythms, etc. An indispensable tool for sure.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:Learning to use the Metronome 15 years 1 month ago #625

The metronome was NOT my friend last night. Jake (my 22lb cat) sat on my metronome at 2AM and set it off. It took a while to figure out what that noise that woke me up was! :S
  • pinky57
  • Gold Boarder
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds