Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: DO RE MI C D E ????

DO RE MI C D E ???? 14 years 7 months ago #1598

One of Dave's blogs was about the musical alphabet....and once again my curiosity got the best of me...for years I've tried to find the answer to this but have not been able to....I'm sure someone out there (Brian?) has the/an answer....I've googled, wikipedia, you name it....and have not been able to get a "because"...Here's the question....In most countries children learn music theory with DO RE MI FA SO LA TI DO..... In the U.S.A. somehow we went to C D E F G A B....does anyone know why???? The CDEFGAB does not exist for them....and here, it is the MAIN way to teach theory...I WANT TO KNOW WHY!!!! :blink: It is very confusing to those of us that learned with Do Re Mi...and I want to know who I should be mad at :evil:
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:DO RE MI C D E ???? 14 years 7 months ago #1600

I'll try to apply what dave has taught me. I was taught Do re mi fa so la ti do is the major scale, sound of music style. CDEFGABC is the major scale in the key of C. One has to ask why the obsession with the key of C. It's how the keys on the piano are laid out, but a musical instrument doesn't set the standard for the alphabet. We have to ask "Why C"? Thats the question. Why is a piano set up that way?
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:DO RE MI C D E ???? 14 years 7 months ago #1603

Okay, Dave....that wasn't my question....you have a different question....You got my hopes up though, when I saw a reply...I thought you were going to have an answer for me....My point is that children in other countries learn from the do re mi......never c d e....so....anyone else out there with an answer???? :) to MY question, not Dave's...:)
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder

Re:DO RE MI C D E ???? 14 years 7 months ago #1604

I am sooooooooooo sorry. I'll crawl back under my rock now....
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:DO RE MI C D E ???? 14 years 7 months ago #1606

Awwww, shucks, don't do that....however, you got my hopes up again....when I saw another reply....guess no one really knows why that happened!!!! Maybe I'll work on making up a theory....:)
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder

Re:DO RE MI C D E ???? 14 years 7 months ago #1607

I thought all this theory talk would draw Dave out of hiding like a trap door spider....he's usually quick to jump in....(hint hint)
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds