Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Nashville number system

Nashville number system 12 years 1 month ago #6549

I've really been working on using numbers instead of notes. I think that it makes it a little to easier to transpose. Since the fiddle doesn't have frets, and thus can't use a capo, we are thus forced to transpose if we want to play in a different key. So far I've gotten where it takes me only about 5-10 minutes to figure out how to play a tune in a different key via the number system.:) It's a start! *sigh* Practice makes perfect, I guess. Any tips?? Thanks, and God bless!!!!!!!!!

~J
  • God bless the USA!
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Proud to be an American! God Bless the USA!!!
The Land of the free. The home of the brave.

Leviticus 25:10 \"...proclaim liberty throughout the land and to all of the inhabitants thereof...\"

..¸•*¨¯¨*•¸....¸•*¨¯¨*•¸God Bless
((....*•-•*¸*¸•*•-•*...))America
..*•.,¸_¸,.•´*.¸_¸,.•´Land that I love......
Last Edit: 12 years 1 month ago by God bless the USA!. Reason: figure or fugure?
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Nashville number system 11 years 8 months ago #6832

What really helped for me was taking private lessons from the Fretmentor. Sitting with a musician for an hour a week will do wonders. I only catch maybe an eighth of what he gives me, the rest is up to me to practice. But i would have not learned how to take apart a chord by it's numeric parts (roots, thirds, fifths, etc) by books alone. When you can sit with an experienced guitarist (or any musician)and learn the foundation of a chord by taking it apart, then play a scale within that by finding the root, is invaluable. It unlocks the fingerboard of any instrument. I think we do ourselves a dis-service by spending too much time learning how to play a song, versus actually learning the music within it.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:Nashville number system 11 years 8 months ago #6837

Amen!! I couldn't agree more. I've taken two lessons thus far with FM, and it's really shown me how much I have to learn. I've always been learning music that you just play what the composer wrote, and you aren't supposed to play around with it, but now I intend to try. I wonder how Vivaldi's Concerto in A minor would sound with a guitar backup/accompaniment, or Fiocco's Allegro with a banjo accompaniment. Perhaps not the latter, though. I think that all banjo players in the world would be cursing my name. :)
Is there a program that would help me with that??
  • God bless the USA!
  • Platinum Boarder

Leviticus 25:10 \"...proclaim liberty throughout the land and to all of the inhabitants thereof...\"

Last Edit: 11 years 8 months ago by God bless the USA!.

Re:Nashville number system 11 years 8 months ago #6839

Don't leave the Mandolin out.....

Check out on Youtube:

Vivaldi - Concerto for two Mandolins in G Major - 2nd Movement (RV 532) played by Ben Bosco

:)
  • dcone
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Last Edit: 11 years 8 months ago by dcone.

Re:Nashville number system 11 years 8 months ago #6840

SWEET!! As a fiddler (aka, insperation for the term "fiddlin' around" ), and endorser of all that is cantankerous, how can one not love what is (now a days) mainly a bluegrass instrament playing classical tunes?? (mighty fine ones at that:)) Like a violin playing contemprary jazz (not gypsy). Not sure how I feel about fiddle in certain genres, though. For instance rock. That just ain't right.

Hmmm...perhaps the banjo could be bumped to Bach's concerto in D minor for two violins, and mando could do Fiocco or Humoresque. But, again, I think that all banjo players in the world would be cursing my name.:)
  • God bless the USA!
  • Platinum Boarder

Last Edit: 11 years 8 months ago by God bless the USA!.

Re:Nashville number system 11 years 8 months ago #6844

Don't tell Charlie Daniels he can't play rock with a fiddle. He would beg to differ! Though some would say his band is of a country genre, it is actually southern rock, same genre as Skynyrd, Atlanta Rhythm Section, .38 Special....Think in terms of replacing the lead guitarist with a fiddle. I think it could work on some tunes.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave
  • Page:
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds