Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Scales

Re:Scales 14 years 11 months ago #786

Quick! Put the lid on before they get out! (the worms) I think i know what he's talking about. He's working on the premise that it is easier to relate to the 8 notes in the major scale by number position, rather than their tonal value, so you can easily know where you're at on the fretboard. He also wants you to use the major scale formula (R2212221)and work it in your head. Really, if you know the formula, and of course the strings on the guitar, you can know what the tonal value is, without memorizing it.It still takes me a delayed reaction to figure it in my head---"2 frets from a G is A"....Just remember where there aren't sharps and flats, and you're home!
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Scales 14 years 11 months ago #823

I was told to use numbers, not letters. Such as in the C-major scale, 1,2, 3-4,5,6,7-8. The 3&4 and 7&8 are next to each other, the others are a fret apart. The root 2-2-1-2-2-2-1.
Sparks
  • sparks
  • Expert Boarder

Re:Scales 14 years 9 months ago #1204

Scales are the basis for everything you play. Learn as many as you can. Mix it up and move them around. Try to figure out melody lines of songs you're familiar with, it's all done with scales. Sometimes zoning out mindlessly playing scales teaches the muscle memory we all need.
PLAY THEM IN SEGMENTS AND COME UP WITH YOUR OWN RIFFS. SCALES ARE YOUR FRIENDS, REALLY
  • bobpharmd
  • Page:
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds