Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: JEB STEWART"S banjo player

JEB STEWART"S banjo player 13 years 9 months ago #3335

here's a nice site relating the history of the banjo.
www.drhorsehair.com/history.html
  • buzzart410
  • Gold Boarder
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:JEB STEWART"S banjo player 13 years 9 months ago #3336

Good article on the early history of the banjo Buzzart. Jens Kruger (at the workshop) didn't want to give very much credit to Joel Sweeney for the invention or proliferation of the 5-string banjo in the mid 1800s - but I have quite a few friends and relatives in Lynchburg and Appomattox, Virginia that differ significantly from this option. Anyhow, what would a Swiss-North Carolina transplant know about the banjo?
  • Kmando
  • User is blocked

Re:JEB STEWART"S banjo player 13 years 9 months ago #3348

Buzzart410 -

I prefer Fretmentor's own history sections on the origin of not only the banjo but the guitar and mandolin. While I am biased since I am the author and researcher, I do so for the following reason: I footnote sources in my articles and do not plagiarize (and that includes photos). I have come across too many websites that appear to do no more than rephrase what is on the web.

Here is a link to Fretmentor's history tour

http://www.fretmentor.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=164:test-file&catid=34:music-history-101&Itemid=17

Re: Sweeney .. if you research the banjo you really have to dig deep to find original documentation to support the origin of the banjo and how it evolved into a five-string instrument (let alone who actually added the 5th string). Finding original, and substantive documents are like looking for a needle in the haystack. Sorry Kmando but that Swiss born North Carolina transplant you speak about is well read. While not discounting Sweeney, there were many west african slaves who should receive recognition about their contributions long before the minstrel artists. May I suggest you study the University of North Carolina archives on slave interviews as a starting point.

Fretmentor's history section is a work in progress and you might want to check back for updates. Feel free to contribute as well, as anything that supplements the banjo's (mandolin or guitar) origin and the artists who defined these instruments will definitely be beneficial to this site.
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 50

Re:JEB STEWART"S banjo player 13 years 9 months ago #3374

Please do not misconstrue the "tongue-in-cheek" comment about Jens Kruger. He is definately one of the finest, most talented and knowledgeable banjo players alive today. Concerning who "invented the banjo or the 5-string banjo", I enjoy reading the history, but I don't really care who "invented" it. The instrument has definately evolved over the last 200 years. My only compliant with a banjo is that most are too damn heavy!

A good read on the Civil War and J.E.B. Stuart with references to Sam Sweeny, Stuart's Banjo Player, is "War Years with JEB Stuart" by LCol W.W. Blackford, CSA.
  • Kmando
  • User is blocked

Re:JEB STEWART"S banjo player 13 years 9 months ago #3380

Kmando, if you want a really light banjo, try a Nechville. They weigh under 8lbs. I know the S FL distributor for them if you are interested.
  • pinky57
  • Gold Boarder

Re:JEB STEWART"S banjo player 13 years 9 months ago #3382

My Morgan Monroe MNB-1 has the perfect combination of weight, features, and intonation for me. All for about $420
  • screendude
  • Gold Boarder
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds