Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Bass notes??

Bass notes?? 12 years 1 month ago #6548

I don't know about everyone else, but for some reason I have a little bit of trouble with doing bass notes with my rhythm(sp?). It might be because the fiddle usually doesn't play them, and just plays on the guitars/banjos/mandos strum. It's just a little ackward getting used to, especially since my bow has decided to be rather uncooperative with me lately.

I think it might be cool if the fiddlers were able to get a little out there with their rhythm playing, like at the workshop when Mr. Berline strummed his fiddle like a mando, instead of playing it with the bow. The fiddle has the exact same fingering as a mando, too, and I think that the added notes in the mando chords would add a bit more to a tune, as uposed to regular double stops.

And maybe if there isn't a bass, one of the fiddles could try and play just the guitars bass notes, to try and fill in for them so to speak. The only thing is that I don't know if the sound would carry enough, or if you'd see the fiddle playing, but that you wouldn't be able to tell otherwise.

Tell me what you think.B)
Thanks, and God bless!!!!!!!!!!!!
~J
  • God bless the USA!
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Proud to be an American! God Bless the USA!!!
The Land of the free. The home of the brave.

Leviticus 25:10 \"...proclaim liberty throughout the land and to all of the inhabitants thereof...\"

..¸•*¨¯¨*•¸....¸•*¨¯¨*•¸God Bless
((....*•-•*¸*¸•*•-•*...))America
..*•.,¸_¸,.•´*.¸_¸,.•´Land that I love......
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Bass notes?? 12 years 1 month ago #6566

I just chop with my fiddle, as that short sound contributes to the rythm....I've been trying to place my fingers on the notes in the chord that is being played in the song. It sounds nicer than just chopping random strings.

Using long bows on the base notes can be nice as a background sound, but for that rythmic beat, you have to chop.
  • mompodell
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Bass notes?? 12 years 1 month ago #6568

Yeah, I usually chop too, but for some reason playing along with the guitars on the bass notes just is a little wierd to me.

And I'm with you on the open strings. I really love the sound that gives when you're doing a slow song. The only problem for me is that when I do that I don't know what notes to play (improv ain't exactly my forte), and usually end up just playing the lead by accident.

What do you think of the mando idea?
  • God bless the USA!
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Proud to be an American! God Bless the USA!!!
The Land of the free. The home of the brave.

Leviticus 25:10 \"...proclaim liberty throughout the land and to all of the inhabitants thereof...\"

..¸•*¨¯¨*•¸....¸•*¨¯¨*•¸God Bless
((....*•-•*¸*¸•*•-•*...))America
..*•.,¸_¸,.•´*.¸_¸,.•´Land that I love......
Time to create page: 0.067 seconds