Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Things I learned taking my banjo apart

Things I learned taking my banjo apart 14 years 8 months ago #1516

Well my wife is up North visiting her sisters so I figured I would clean up my 1983 Stelling Sunflower for a polish and setup.
I talked to Geoff Stelling about the advisability of taking it totally apart and he said it would be fine even down to the tonering. This is in contrast to my Deering where they told me I would be bettter off leaving the tone ring and rim together since I might not get as good a fit. Anyway, I took it all apart and removed the neck. Cleaned it all up and it looks great.

It seems like this is a skill banjo players need and it was fun during my social downtime.

More to come.
  • brilind
Last Edit: 14 years 8 months ago by brilind.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Things I learned taking my banjo apart 14 years 8 months ago #1528

Here's a few more things that I learned during my recent banjo setup:

To check the bow in the neck: The desired amount of bow is equal to somewhere between 1/64" and 1/32", or about the thickness of a heavy gauge fourth string. This distance is measured from the top of the 7th fret to a straight line going between the tops of the 1st and 22nd frets. You need the bow so strings don't buzz. If neneeded the truss rod can be adjusted. Go easy. some older truss rods apparently have a reverse thread.

Normal string height, or action, is about 1/8" above the 12th fret and 9/64" above the 22nd fret as measured from the top of each fret to the center of the strings. generally speaking you want to correct this height by selecting the proper bridge height. For small adjustments you can adjust the lower coordinator rod but this is usually not advised as it puts pressure on the rim and may effect the tone. More to come.
  • brilind

Re:Things I learned taking my banjo apart 14 years 8 months ago #1542

We must really be bored with Linda out of town. What if you don't get the banjo back together before she gets back?

Anyhow, thanks for the information. It is useful, thanks - you must have been reading your banjo setup book!
  • Kmando
  • User is blocked

Re:Things I learned taking my banjo apart 14 years 8 months ago #1547

I get scared just taking my instruments out of their cases....can't imagine taking one apart!!!! Must be a "man thing". :)
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Re:Things I learned taking my banjo apart 14 years 8 months ago #1551

Taking them apart is not the issue; it's putten um back together correctly that's the issue.
  • screendude
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Things I learned taking my banjo apart 14 years 8 months ago #1617

Oh BTW it went back together just fine and I think it sounds great. Helps to start with a great banjo.
  • brilind
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds