Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What is your favourite action?

What is your favourite action? 13 years 2 months ago #4734

Hello all guitarists!

Where do you usually like your action set (in 64ths of an inch, prefferably)?

Also, do you mostly strum, or play slide? Where do you usually play on the neck (0-4th frets, 5th-8th, 9th-13th, etc.). Lastly, why do you set your action there? Intonation? Playability? Fretbuzz?

Lastly, if you don't know what action is, please don't respond "what is action?" (I want to keep this as more of a poll) Edbird just posted a very helpful link to a website that should be able to explain that.

Have fun,
Mr535 B)
  • Mr535
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:What is your favourite action? 13 years 2 months ago #4868

OK you've picked my interest. I have had the action adjusted on a couple of my guitars. The strat to eliminate fret buzz. On one of the acoustics to lower the action. I like the playability of the lower action. It takes less pressure and is easier on the fingers. I haven't measured any of my guitars, but like said, now that you have my interest I'm going to. It might be helpful to make the comparison and see if I can figure out what I like best.

The second part of your question is a different subject. One technique involves the left hand and the other involves the right. I've tried the slide. I like the results, just not when I try. But someone like Bonnie Raitt is awesome! I like all styles of picking. Finger picking is hard for me. Thumb and index...pretty easy maybe but I'm working on adding 2nd & 3rd digits. My right hand just doesn't want to be that coordinated.

Lastly, they put all those frets on for a reason. I like to use as much of the neck as possible. There are very interesting chord shapes/phrasing to discover. Not to mention lead variations available.
  • espian
  • Expert Boarder
Last Edit: 13 years 2 months ago by espian. Reason: last response
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds