Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Learning by ear vs learning by tab

Re:Learning by ear vs learning by tab 14 years 11 months ago #1042

I don't know of any other way I could have started playing the guitar at this point then by tab.....I certainly couldn't have started learning to read music. That would take more time than I have ! There may be a few lucky souls who are very musically gifted that can really have a command of an instrument without learning to read music....and there have been some great old blues and bluegrass players who played by ear. But generally, I think, even some of the most innovative musicians had some sort of formal music education, even most of the greatest jazz musicians who ended up improvising.....but they always came back to the basic structure of the tune they were palying.....music is about structure and form, like painting or writing. I don't think that one can take shortcuts and really, I mean really, make the music and the instrument their own personal expression.
I can read only very basic tab notation, and at first it didn't make any sense. I think it's probably much harder to learn a song by tab or reading notes and takes a long time....but I know I would only be learning chords if I didn't start learning to read tabs.
  • Gogogal
  • Expert Boarder
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Learning by ear vs learning by tab 14 years 11 months ago #1045

I can read tab and sort of play it, but only IF I already know the song. I can also pick out a melody by ear if I am familiar with it. The tab helps when I get stuck and can't get the next note. Sometimes the tab is written diferently than how I hear the music in my head, then I'm really in trouble. I don't think one way is better than the other, just use what works best for your current situation and always keep an open mind and learn as much asyou can.
  • pinky57
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Learning by ear vs learning by tab 14 years 11 months ago #1046

Tabs are, by far, much easier to read than music. I don't know how many times i've heard good guitarists say they don't read music. They either play by ear (very gifted in my opinion) or learn by tablature (most players). I guess a "good" musician is well rounded in all aspects, reading sheet music, intonation, application. The facts for me are that i'm 45 years old, it will take many years to train my ears for "ear playing", and the quickest route is by tablature, which, i consider to be cheating to some degree. I have an old guitar instruction book, that has the chords in musical notation on the staff, no tab at all. I know for a fact, that since i've been spoiled by tabs, that it would take much longer to learn how to play solely by music notation. It takes my brain awhile to make the connection to a notes on the staff, and apply each one to a chord. Show me a chord diagram, and some tabs, and i will learn it that way.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:Learning by ear vs learning by tab 14 years 9 months ago #1302

Reading music has helped me a lot lately. Most guitar tabs also have standard notation, most banjo tabs don't. Actually writing out the standard notation for the banjo parts helps me learn them and understand what's going on theoretically.

Ear training is great too and essential.

I just got the first Bear Family Flatts and Scruggs boxed set. The Scruggs book only has a handful of TABS and their catalog was massive, so I've been working out some of Earl's stuff by ear based upon what I already know from the Scruggs book.

At the end of the day, I use all resources I need as a musician. Sight reading, TAB, ear, use it all!! It's not a zero sum game.
  • OutlawSteph
  • Junior Boarder

Re:Learning by ear vs learning by tab 14 years 9 months ago #1304

I started playing percussion in High School, which i found out later was very helpful when i picked up a stringed instrument. I eventually learned how to read treble clef and now can spend hours trying out different tunes in the "fakebooks". Then i keep playing it over and over and eventually can make it "mine" .
  • buzzart410
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Learning by ear vs learning by tab 14 years 4 months ago #2192

Hey All....as a student I first learned by tab, and learn things I did for years.

However, I didn't really pick up my bluegrass playing until getting with others and sounding it out. Listen closely to everything. Once you have a tune in mind, you can translate that into the chords. Here is a non-intimidating way to approach the issue:

1st: find the key
2nd: bluegrass is 90% 1-4-5 (just get the pattern and you're golden)
3rd: if there's a minor, test the 6 chord first
4th: if the relative minor isn't the minor chord you hear, try 2, 3, or 7

Therefore, just ask for the key, or play a single note till you find it. Boom, 2 times through the song and you have yourself playing solid backup if you follow Mr. Jakubiak's backup licks.

finding the chords makes digging the melody much easier. One note at the time! The note will come out of the chord (adjust for major/minor etc if you can't find it in the major scale).

Final step is where the banjo is super cool. take the melody notes and experiment with different tolls to get your timing down. Mix in licks for variation and you just arranged your own version.

tabs are useful for finding those pesky licks, or when the rolls are very complex and yet the melody is followed precisely, which can get very tough with melodic.
  • capttboz
  • Fresh Boarder
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds