Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Timing and chord changes.

Re:Timing and chord changes. 13 years 10 months ago #3473

I have alot of trouble catching the chord changes too - especially when the song takes you out of the G, C and D. If you can see the lead player's hands, sometimes you can see him make the change. I also try to listen to it once with my eyes closed. I also try to find the pattern. There also seems to be a general pattern that many of the songs we're playing follow: like in G it seems like alot of songs go from the 1 (G) to the 3 (C chord) and stay there for two measures, then return to the 1 (G) then to the 5 (D). But usually, the change to the 5 is only for a single measure and you don't hang there before returning to the 1.

If the song leaves that general pattern, I'm as lost as you are !!!
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Timing and chord changes. 13 years 9 months ago #3475

Sorry - I meant to say look for the change from the 1 (usually G in most songs we've been playing) to the FOUR chord (not the 3 - it's what I get for typing a post while doing two other things at the same time) then back to the 1 - when it goes to the 5 chord - the ususal pattern seems to be that you do not hang on the five - but jump right back to the 1 or another chord.

Just wanted to correct my earlier typo.

Re:Timing and chord changes. 13 years 9 months ago #3478

It might help to try some ear training for the intervals. The 4 chord ascending can be remembered by "Here comes the bride". The Five chord is Twinkle Twinkle Little star. typically the 5 chord is just before the end on simple songs.

Try and hum the melody and you may start to hear it.

It just takes time.
  • brilind

Re:Timing and chord changes. 13 years 9 months ago #3489

I'm by no means an expert, but a trick that the Fretmentor showed has helped a lot. To pick out when chord changes occur on unfamiliar tunes, you can sing (or hum or whistle) the melody of the song while playing the chords on the guitar. I always notice when the chord starts to sound dissonant from the melody. The measure before that is where the chord change should occur. I have done it on several tunes and I feel like it's been pretty useful at training my ear for the changes. Of course, all of the songs I have done this with are pretty simple, with only 2 or 3 chords.
  • Page:
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds