Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Soldiers Joy Tempo

Soldiers Joy Tempo 14 years 10 months ago #1118

Can anyone give a rough idea what the tempo will be for Soldiers Joy?
  • JohnS
  • Fresh Boarder
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Soldiers Joy Tempo 14 years 10 months ago #1122

Dave prefers we play the tunes slow until we get proficient with timing. As you know, most bluegrass is rather fast, >100 BPM, but few of us could play that fast and maintain good timing (speaking for myself anyway) I set my met for a 1/4 note 55 BPM, to learn the rhythm chord progression. When i can make the chords accurately, i'll add 10 BPM, and so on. After a while, good timing becomes somewhat learned. In my humble novice opinion, speed without timing is just noise. I'm still learning this, thats why you see Dave and other good guitarists tap their foot to keep that rhythm.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:Soldiers Joy Tempo 14 years 10 months ago #1124

I like to vary my rhythm. Sometimes slow and perfect and other times fast and sloppy. It keeps me reaching so that someday I'll play fast and perfect but I've got to try it to get used to the way the wrist moves when you up the speed. I guess you could do this in increments at 5 or 10 BPM at a time, but I think at some speeds your wrist starts to work differently.
  • axelhead
  • Senior Boarder

Re:Soldiers Joy Tempo 14 years 10 months ago #1127

Answering John's question, i think that song would sound good @ 80-100 BPM, which is moderate. I'd say learn it at a speed that allows you to play with beginners or seasoned players, and still keep good rhythm. Go on U-tube, find a band that plays it with good intonation (because some of those recordings are so horrendously bad), and adjust the tempo on your met until it syncs. I would think syncing off the rhythm guitarist would be accurate, especially if you can hear his bass notes. Then, you will have a good benchmark to strive for!
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave
Time to create page: 0.070 seconds