Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Mon eve beginners class

Mon eve beginners class 10 years 10 months ago #7292

So....we've had our 3rd class & my brain & fingers totally turned to mush. The past week I felt I was making some progress. I did the Guitar Fingerboard paper exercises multiple times & multiple times again & it has started to click. I know a "G" chord from practicing FM's down strumming video. Tabs...are come & go. Spider exercises....ok despite the pinky finger my fingers are loosing up. I can retain the info at home (after many times of going over & over) but when it comes to live class time all the info jumbles together. Now, we should be practicing/learning Scales & Chords. I found this intimidating during the week in between class so I kept looking at it & putting it down. Some things I am getting hung up on or making my brain do circles:

Learning backwards...yep, only lefty in class

Gauging the distance between strings while not looking & looking and hitting the wrong string

Not looking while trying to strum, find the right fret, or learn a chord

Tabs...open string I get, it's reading which string to be on & which fret. This should be relatively easy but it's hit or miss.

I'd be pretty interested if anyone in class is having the same baby step frustrations...we were all pretty quiet last night!
  • Ear logic
  • Fresh Boarder
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Mon eve beginners class 10 years 10 months ago #7293

I read an interesting analogy that "dumbed" it down for me & makes sense.

"You make think of learning to play the guitar the way a baby learns to speak."

Notes & Scales are the alphabet
Chords are like words
Songs are like complete sentences

Food for thought & it made it a little clearer to me as far as structure goes!
  • Ear logic
  • Fresh Boarder

Re:Mon eve beginners class 10 years 10 months ago #7294

Trust me, it's not just beginners! :) We all have something. Some (such as me) might, perhaps, have more things than others, but we all have something that we need to work on. (just ask even FM) :)

Tabs truly are my weakness. I had the exact same problem with Nashville number system, my having learned with the Suzuki Method which uses the musical alphabet (A,B,C,D,E,F,G) and terms referring to the position of the finger, like "high 2(nd finger)" "blue 2" and "pink 3," as opposed to numbers. (Sometimes making me think I'm color blind) :P

As far as playing without looking, try taking exercise, like, say a strumming exercise, and do it for as long as you can bear. Then try playing through it with your eyes closed, starting over whenever you make a mistake, until you can play the entire thing with your eyes closed and no mistakes. Easier said than done, but it definitely helps for when you're starting to use sheet music/tabs.

All in all, it's just doing it (aka, the dreaded word: practice!;)) It may seem a little monotonous for a while, but it's certainly worth it in the long run.

Happy pickin' B)

P.S. That really is a good way to think of it. I might just have to steal that...:)
  • God bless the USA!
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Proud to be an American! God Bless the USA!!!
The Land of the free. The home of the brave.

Leviticus 25:10 \"...proclaim liberty throughout the land and to all of the inhabitants thereof...\"

..¸•*¨¯¨*•¸....¸•*¨¯¨*•¸God Bless
((....*•-•*¸*¸•*•-•*...))America
..*•.,¸_¸,.•´*.¸_¸,.•´Land that I love......
Last Edit: 10 years 10 months ago by God bless the USA!.

Re:Mon eve beginners class 10 years 10 months ago #7297

Thx GBTUSA! After mulling over for 3 days (reading, re reading, & reading again) & trying to get do,re,me,fa....down, along with Tone, semi-tone, & Roman numerals ... I finally just picked up the guitar & practiced it over & over for almost 2 hours. When I got frustrated then I stopped and did down strumming, something else, & then back at it. I feel much better now! Glad to hear ( well, you know what I mean) more experienced players hit a rut sometimes!
  • Ear logic
  • Fresh Boarder

Re:Mon eve beginners class 10 years 10 months ago #7300

Awesome!! :) Glad to hear.

Hey, every rose has it's thorns. And after all "The further one travels down a path the more likely it is that one will encounter a bump in the road." Just keep at it.

Happy pickin' ;)
  • God bless the USA!
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Proud to be an American! God Bless the USA!!!
The Land of the free. The home of the brave.

Leviticus 25:10 \"...proclaim liberty throughout the land and to all of the inhabitants thereof...\"

..¸•*¨¯¨*•¸....¸•*¨¯¨*•¸God Bless
((....*•-•*¸*¸•*•-•*...))America
..*•.,¸_¸,.•´*.¸_¸,.•´Land that I love......

Re:Mon eve beginners class 10 years 10 months ago #7301

It has its good days and bad. I won't learn everything in 8 weeks & I am trying. I do read the material, practice what I've picked up, and try & get better. I've come to the conclusion that it just takes me longer to process things. I've even considered re-taking this class when over ( since there is no Guitar 2 Class)..what could it hurt. When it "clicks" it's a good feeling! It's just getting my brain & fingers to work at the same time! Lol here's to more calluses!
  • Ear logic
  • Fresh Boarder
Time to create page: 0.089 seconds