Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Right Hand Technique

Re:Right Hand Technique 14 years 8 months ago #1659

George, do you keep your hand anchored? I tend to rest the heel of my hand on the bridge, just behind the saddle, as my point of reference. And of course hours of pickin'. Overnight? Man, don't we all wish for that.
  • espian
  • Expert Boarder
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Right Hand Technique 14 years 8 months ago #1666

Theres alot to be said about anchoring the hand. Hard to do, but gives good pick control. Thats a good point, Steve. You can keep your pinky near the sound hole as well. I never tried the bridge idea. Seems like it would give a better angle, especially on the lower strings (A,E).
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:Right Hand Technique 14 years 8 months ago #1669

Dave's rule 101...anchor the pinky....then proceed....:)
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Re:Right Hand Technique 14 years 8 months ago #1680

George,

You are getting a lot of feedback on this. I think that right hand technique is really a major factor to playing well. I've been shown a lot of excercizes over the years which I am sure all can have value if you stick to them (which I have not). But the main thing I'd like to pipe in here about is that if you study the great players, they all have pretty different ways to achieve great results. Some with more elbow, others, more wrist, and still others more finger movement (on the hand holding the pick). Some, like David Grier float a lot w/o anchoring their finger and still others are anchored like they have glue on their pinky. Some brush the bridge as a depth guage and others are dead against that. And, let's not even talk about how to hold the pick! The conclusion that I've come to is that we are all wired differently and what works for Tony Rice would be absolutely wrong for Doc Watson. So, you watch the great ones, but ultimately have to figure out what works for you. Not an easy task...but that's what all the good ones wind up doing. My 2 cents...

How
  • how
  • Fresh Boarder

Re:Right Hand Technique 14 years 8 months ago #1684

This is all good advice. Upon more scrutinizing my right hand as I play, I've noticed that my pick is rotating in my fingers; it's due to my hands being calloused. That's part of my problem. If I tighten down on it, I lose flexability. Maybe I need to try other pick shapes.
  • george
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Right Hand Technique 14 years 8 months ago #1688

or you can "do" gorilla snot....that's what I do.... :)
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
  • Page:
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds