Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: "blind leading the blind"

Re:"blind leading the blind" 13 years 11 months ago #2883

From my experience playing in class I think each of us knows the lead while playing at home but we're confronted with a different situation when playing together. I guess we all have our individual quirks as far as what throws us off when performing together and mine is when I can't hear a lead when it's played, I'm assuming the rythmn section is waiting and sitting on a chord until a lead is taken only to find out someone is playing a lead!:woohoo: That's when I lose my concept of where the rythmn section is:unsure: . On the other hand, not being a solid rythmn player anyway I make the chord changes at the wrong time while listening to the lead(who's off on the wrong beat):blush: . I have to work on my keeping a solid rythmn but, it's difficult when I can't hear a lead or when the lead takes off on it's own agenda. I'm working on focus and fun.B)
  • george
  • Gold Boarder
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:"blind leading the blind" 13 years 11 months ago #2899

As a rhythm player, the only time you need to hear the lead player is when he ends and is ready to transition, more eye contact than anything. The lead player has to start and play his lead at the proper time in the song. The rhythm players keep the song going, and never adjust to an off lead. If the lead player struggles, the most experienced player can transition and save it, so long as he jumps in properly---eye contact and timing. Those rhythm players have to keep a good "boom/chunk" as fretmentor calls it, in the proper time in the measure. You are playing rhythm, just keep a consistent tempo, whether it's 3/4 or 4/4, and the lead player comes in at the proper time. Rhythm players never adjust! Keep on playing, or the tune dies.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:"blind leading the blind" 13 years 11 months ago #2900

Good stuff. That's exactly my problem ( adjusting to the lead player and not supposed to). I think I get attached to the melody and try to stretch or feel out where the lead is and lose count on who's with me:blink: or who's right. That was meant to be funny:blush: I might wander a little on where 1[234] is because I'm listening to a lead played a beat off.
  • george
  • Gold Boarder

Re:"blind leading the blind" 13 years 11 months ago #2933

Yup. Same problem here. Focus on the lead player, then if the lead stumbles, I lose it too. Happened to me last week. Got to keep the rythm going no matter what.:S
  • palkan22
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6

Re:"blind leading the blind" 13 years 11 months ago #2955

I seem to be pretty susceptible to this as well. But I've been noticing the backing bands more when I've been listening to recordings lately. Even when a soloist or singer goes a little off rhythm, the band always stays right there, in rhythm. It's not a huge revelation, but I think I just did not notice it much before because I've always tended to pay more attention to the melody out front than the backing harmonies and now I'm listening differently. Hopefully, I can apply this to my playing as well.
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds