Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Loch Lomond

Loch Lomond 12 years 8 months ago #5569

I had posted elsewhere that I didn't like songs with minor keys. I must correct myself. Loch Lomond is an awesome tune. I was practicing the chord progression when I recognized it. The G to Bm transition is a heck of a challenge that will be requiring much more work. A great tune for practicing open to barre chord shapes. In fact measure 14 is very busy. A great tune.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Loch Lomond 12 years 8 months ago #5619

How do you describe the chord progression using the Nashville numbering system?
  • buzzart410
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Loch Lomond 12 years 8 months ago #5621

It's funny, but i always start to hear a 1950's rock ballad when i play these progressions. Just play using some straight eight notes without a strong off beat . I just picture a 57 chevy on the high road, and a Ford coupe on the low road, followed by a tragic crash at the end...and a weeping babe of course.
  • buzzart410
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Loch Lomond 12 years 8 months ago #5624

Wow...,This song, while in the key of G, it doesn't follow the "normal" 1/4/5 (G/C/D) of the key. It is 1/6/2/5/, but the order of the progression changes. The theory of this song is rather interesting as i study it, the 6 chord (E) can be major or minor, in this tune it uses the relative minor, which gives the tune an interesting dimension in that you expect to go to the 4 chord (C), but you waddle thru some minors, before you get to the expectant 5 (D), then finally arrive back at the 1 (G) in bar 6. Also, the 5 chord (D) takes on a 7th form, which i wouldn't expect. I'll ask Fretmentor about this in my private lesson.
I think the use and placement of the minor chord forms adds some unique feel to the tune.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:Loch Lomond 12 years 8 months ago #5625

buzzart410 wrote:
It's funny, but i always start to hear a 1950's rock ballad when i play these progressions. Just play using some straight eight notes without a strong off beat . I just picture a 57 chevy on the high road, and a Ford coupe on the low road, followed by a tragic crash at the end...and a weeping babe of course.

Buzzart, that is most likely why i (incorrectly) posted last week about this tune being in a minor key....the use of minor chord forms gives the tune that sad ballad feel to it. Yeah, lets drag it out on Dead Man's Curve....
The weeping babe did give the arm drop start of the race, right?
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds