Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Return from Palatka

Return from Palatka 15 years 2 months ago #501

We just got back from the festival, what an experience. Three days of non-stop bluegrass music. I thought I went to see some of the top names in the business like Ricky Scaggs, Rhonda Vincent and the Grascals. While the top names were there and a joy to see and hear, the second tier groups such as the Bluegrass Brothers, Goldwing Express, and Nothing Fancy were the hit of the show for me. Almost every group was fantastic!! If you get a chance to attend a bluegrass festival (this was my 1st) GO! you won't be disappointed. There is another festival at this same location in Oct. with a lineup that is fantastic. I learned tons just watching the performers.
Also, the artists themselves are the nicest pepole you will ever meet. Every artist there took time after their show for a "meet and greet". Autographs, pictures or just a chance to say "Hi". We will be going again in Oct. and tring to make another show in NC in July. I'm hooked!
  • pinky57
  • Gold Boarder
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Return from Palatka 15 years 2 months ago #505

I also went to the Palatka Festival and enjoyed seeing two classmates, Reid and Sandy, and meeting their spouses. As noted by pinky57 the big hitters( ie, Ricky Skaggs, Rhonda Vincent, etc.) were great, but I believe the best performances were The Larry Stephenson Band with one of the nation's top two banjo players, Kenny Ingram (of course our mentor Dave is the other), The Bluegrass Brothers, and Nothin' Fancy (SPBGMA 2009 Entertsaining Group of the Year. Had a chance to talk with many of the performers and agree again with pinky57 they are all very nice and easy to talk with. You won't find a better three consecutive days of world-class bluegrass at a very reasonable price! Plan to go to their next festival this October!
Jim Joyce & Kristin Scott Benson...Banjo Player of the year, IBMA 2008, SPBGMA 2009.
Attachments:
  • JimJoyce
  • Junior Boarder

Re:Return from Palatka 15 years 2 months ago #506

Pinky, how many instruments did you buy this time?????;)
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Re:Return from Palatka 15 years 2 months ago #509

I'm not the one with all the instruments, that would be my husband. I just have the 2 mandolins and a fiddle that I will start learning to play very soon!
  • pinky57
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Return from Palatka 15 years 2 months ago #514

That's my goal...the fiddle, when I "master" the guitar....however, I'm now leaning a little towards the mandolin...(like the size of it.) We'll see...
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.091 seconds