Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The awkwardness of learning............

The awkwardness of learning............ 14 years 1 month ago #2816

I knew when I made the decision to buy a Banjo, and start lessons that I would be taking on quite a lot. Then Fretmentor tells me about the class and how good it would be for me. I want so much to do well that I don't even let myself do badly. I am not used to being awkward, or not on top of whatever I am doing. Theory, timing, back up, technique........doing better with all of them but still feel like something just has not "clicked". I love my weekly lessons, and love coming to class every week. When did the awkward feeling start to subside for everybody? When did you begin to feel more comfortabe?
  • lesliek
  • Expert Boarder
  • We are all important to someone.
Leslie Kay
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:The awkwardness of learning............ 14 years 1 month ago #2818

When i came to the Fretmentor's bluegrass class, over time i loosened up. It took a few rotations, but i'm pretty comfortable now. I don't even mind criticisms from the fretmentor, because i know he has a passion for this stuff, and if it doesn't sound right, or there is an obvious mistake in playing, he'll let you know.
What i enjoy about the bluegrass class is that there is such an eclectic group of musicians in there, and everyone is laid back and cool, and you can gain alot by playing with them with no pressure to really perform at a certain level. 2 years ago when i attended Fretmentor's guitar 1 class, i never anticipated (nor planned) to attend a class playing with others--i was happy to play in the closet. But i'm glad i stepped out of my comfort zone and did it. It's a blast, and i look forward to those Wednesdays.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:The awkwardness of learning............ 14 years 1 month ago #2821

I have been at this for some time and still periodically find the experience to be mortifying and embarrasing but each time it gets a little better and I learn to not do that again. This is the best support group possible and if you implode, no problem. The experience makes you learn how to relax. My goal in all of this was to be able to play with others and even have fun.

I am at the point that it is at times fun, at times embarrasing and at other times mortifying.

Don't worry, take a chance. We are all here to support and applaude your efforts!!!!!!
  • brilind

Re:The awkwardness of learning............ 14 years 1 month ago #2824

Still waiting on that one. I'll let you know as soon as it happens.
  • deafstrum
  • Expert Boarder

Re:The awkwardness of learning............ 14 years 1 month ago #2830

I think it gets easier just about every week. When I felt I was making progress and screwed up in the next class, it still was better. You realize you are going to make mistakes, and we all do as I'm sure you've noticed. That's part of the learning process. The good thing is that we're all in the same boat and it's a pretty fun boat to be in.
  • espian
  • Expert Boarder

Re:The awkwardness of learning............ 14 years 1 month ago #2837

One of my best practice weeks (weeks ago) came to fruition with one of my worst performances at class that week! I sort of brushed it off 'cause I had so many things going on at work but, then I became unmotivated in my daily practices until I realized that being a student means study. Now, when even if I don't have time to play I'll put 5 hard minutes into the G scale as far around the neck as I can and come off feeling good about the organized effort!
  • george
  • Gold Boarder
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.079 seconds