Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Props for the teach

Props for the teach 13 years 4 months ago #4702

I have to say we have a good gig with Fretmentor's "performing with others" class. Was doing some work at one of our districts, and noticed a Fender acoustic on the stand in the office. Of course, seeing this short circuited my work mode, and i shifted into fun gear. Found out the player was a newbie like myself, and he was taking lessons. I looked over some of his music (contemporary pop stuff) and somehow the discussion led to scales and keys. I found out he was amazed by the basics, stuff Fretmentor hammers out usually at the first class of a quarter (Major scale, primary and secondary chords, Nashville numbering, etc).
I guess what i'm saying without getting too verbose is alot of what we get from Fretmentor in class is often taken for granted, lost in the desire to just learn a tune, until i come across a newbie like myself. I'm glad we're not just learning tunes, but the mechanics of the tune.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Props for the teach 13 years 4 months ago #4708

Without the theory, it's just a lot harder to figure things out. Thanks Fretmentor.
  • pinky57
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Props for the teach 13 years 4 months ago #4716

I was talking to a friend who does not play a few nights ago about playing the guitar and he started asking me about how the strings were laid out on the guitar and pretty soon I was having a full-blown discussion with him about theory. He seemed pretty impressed that I knew as much as I did after only about 1.5 years of playing the guitar. Most of what I talked about with him came directly from the Fretmentor, either in class or private lessons. Thanks Fretmentor...:)

Re:Props for the teach 13 years 4 months ago #4731

I have to agree. A friend of mine has been playing for about the same amount of time as me - but he's sort of winging it. After he found out I was playing I found myself explaining alot of basic theory to him - stuff that I just took for granted that everyone who played already knew.

Hats off to Fretmentor.

Re:Props for the teach 13 years 3 months ago #4764

He who is self taught usually has a lousy teacher.

Once I started taking lessons with Fretmentor, almost every lesson had what I called the "duh!" moment -- the moment where I learned something seemingly obvious that I would have taken weeks or months to have tumbled to on my own.

I'm learning to be a musician, not just an instrument operator.
  • ckinzel
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.082 seconds