Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Tempo

Re:Tempo 12 years 7 months ago #6002

Hugh, typically the tunes on the website have to be paid for, or are free to those in his bluegrass class in Jupiter. You can pay for them on line via Pay Pal for $5 each, and then you will be able to download them. But we don't typically make copies and distribute.
The paper you are asking about can typically be found at a guitar shop, I've seen chord frame paper, standard music notation paper, and tab paper. Fretmentor has these tools embedded in his instructional CDs.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Tempo 12 years 7 months ago #6003

Mary, the standard is the rhythm player. The lead player should never out speed the rhythm. A good rhythm player will continue to drive the tune at a constant speed, and alas, the errant lead player will look bad! That's why we start tunes with a count, rhythm guitar, then everyone jump on. One thing I've learned from Fretmentor is that the rhythm drives the tune. A good rhythm player will sound like a metronome, especially if they accent the bass notes. If the rhythm compensates for lead, the tune will be all over the place and lose it's identity. If that happens, it's on the rhythm player. The tune is lost.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:Tempo 12 years 6 months ago #6084

As a rhythm player, I do okay with tempo, and it has been one of the things I notice I am better at as time has gone by. But since I have only been playing a couple of years, I find that often, my rhythm playing can be "pushed around" by insistent soloists. For instance,if a soloist begins playing faster than me, I will often compensate without even meaning to. In other words, I'm not trying to "help out" the solo. It's just that I am listening to the solo, so I speed up to be like it. Although the rhythm part is important, the melody is often the part that comes through to my ears, especially if it is played on a relatively loud instrument compared to my guitar (probably FM would say I need to play louder in that case). I think for me I can see some improvement as I get more comfortable with tempo. As with so much else about playing music, this will require more playing and using a metronome when I play/practice rhythm parts. :)
  • Page:
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds