Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: WWFD

WWFD 12 years 6 months ago #6068

I have a critical WWFD (What Would the Fretmentor Do?)question. Not sure if it should be in the "Performing" or the "banjo" section of the forum, but here goes.

I'm trying to develop a clawhammer banjo break for the song "Liberty" and have a pretty good start playing open G and thus capoing (2 frets) that up to A. So I have the keys of G and A covered. However, the mandolin break is written in D and I not sure where the guitar break is written.

I've tried to develop a break in C and capoing (2 frets) that up to D. That is very problematic (ie. easily finding the notes and blending into the clawhammer rolls).

I've also tried capoing up 7 frets, playing it in open G and thus having the key of D. The problem is I have lost considerable fretboard real estate and most of my bass.

Fretmentor has always cautioned learning banjo players of the problematic nature of trying to play "fiddle tunes" on the banjo in the key of D.

Are there any other options available? Is this a subject that could be addressed in class or would it bore other than learning banjo players?

Experienced or expert banjo playing opinion on the technical aspects of this question would be appreciated.
  • Kmando
  • User is blocked
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.058 seconds