Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Blues Class

Blues Class 12 years 5 months ago #6256

I really enjoyed class last nite. I find FM's review of theory very interesting, even though most of it is still over my head....I absorb a little more every time I hear it. He taught a lot of this in his private lessons with me...and I have extensive notes from my sessions with him...but I think it was just all too new at the time,for me to be able to absorb it. Plus, taking notes, I think, just cant be as affective as partipating, and listening to other class members interacting with FM.
I also thoroughly enjoy the addition of other genres in class...the blues and jazz flavors are awsome. I enjoy the Bluegrass, but appreciate this new direction we seem to be heading, lately.
What do you think?
  • dcone
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Blues Class 12 years 5 months ago #6257

I think I am missing Wednesday night class DOUBLE TIME!!!!

Glad to hear you're doing fun stuff!
  • mompodell
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Blues Class 12 years 5 months ago #6261

I have the same problem that you have, I absorb a little bit more each time. Right now it is way over my head. But hopefully in time I will get it. Practice, Practice, Practrice.
Sparks
  • sparks
  • Expert Boarder

Re:Blues Class 12 years 5 months ago #6262

I was messing around with blues jam tracks on youtube, and have been applying the minor pentatonic scale to improvise a lead to the jam tracks. Works great! Once you learn the pattern, you can do it in any scale, pretty much all over the fretboard. The thing is, (for me anyway) playing to the jam tracks is a lot more fun that just repeating the scales back and forth. Try it!. I'd suggest finding a "slow blues in G" on youtube, then just goof around with the minor pentatonic scale while the jam track plays in the background. Once you get good with that, you can do "A" by shifting the pattern up 2 frets, or "C" by shifting up 5 frets, etc, using same scale pattern. :)
  • palkan22
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6

Re:Blues Class 12 years 5 months ago #6263

palkan -

Using the jam tracks sounds like a great idea. I've tried something similar with CD tracks, but I think the youtube tracks might be easier to manage for me and give me more variety.

I have really enjoyed the blues class too. It's nice to begin putting together some of the things FM has been teaching me over the last year or so in private lessons in a more public location. :)

Re:Blues Class 12 years 5 months ago #6282

I learn the best by taking notes. It helps cement the idea in my head, than of course applying the principles and repetition. The rest is of course, practice.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.085 seconds