Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: The Crooked Road

The Crooked Road 14 years 6 months ago #1951

Check out - The Crooked Road - Virginia Heritage Music Trail. Its on the internet and discusses many music venues in SW Virginia. I had been to the Carter Family Fold (Store) in Hiltons, Virginia in the past, but on my latest trip I went to the Sunday afternoon old time jam at the Floyd Country Store. There are many other venues throughout the region that are listed on the website.

At the Floyd Store, they have 2-3 bluegrass groups on Friday night, but Sunday is the jam. About 14 musicians that played some songs I had never heard of but also played many that I knew. Good music, very friendly and the food is actually good and food and trinkets (tee shirts, etc.) reasonably priced.
  • Kmando
  • User is blocked
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:The Crooked Road 14 years 6 months ago #1955

Did you jam with them?
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Re:The Crooked Road 14 years 6 months ago #1957

Here is a picture of Floyd's Country Store
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 50

Re:The Crooked Road 14 years 6 months ago #1958

In summary - no - I didn't jam with them, although if one was to hang around a Sunday or two, they were friendly enough that I am sure I would have participated. I did not want to bring the mandolin on the plane, although I got an indirect offer from the group to play the house bass. I was not at all familiar with a lot of the songs that they played! A lot of SW Virginia waltz type numbers.

The Floyd Country Store is worthwhile visiting. As I said before very relacked, good reasonable food and good atmosphere. My main point is that if one is planning visiting SW Virgina and Western NC between the Crooked Road and Blueridgemusic websites you can find jams or music almost any day of the week.
  • Kmando
  • User is blocked
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.069 seconds