Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: DO RE MI C D E ????

Re:DO RE MI C D E ???? 14 years 8 months ago #1632

If DO RE MI... is C D E...and the question is why do we start on C, then it might be that it allows a prelude to preceed the scale in the form of an individuals' imaginatory practice scale from "A" to weed out any mistakes before getting to "C" therefore, ensuring a properly played scale of C, D, E, F, G, A, B, and C.:)

Steven Hawking
  • george
  • Gold Boarder
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:DO RE MI C D E ???? 14 years 8 months ago #1637

Here's my take on this:
1) I live in the US, i happen to be learning guitar in the US, i don't care how they do it in other countries (sorry, i'm somewhat closed minded, things are simpler that way)
2) The guitar is a complex enough instrument, i don't need to make it any harder.
3) When my guitar teacher speaks, it is 2nd only to the voice of God... (and my wife) Do Re Mi is the major scale, the musical alphabet starts with C, because the C major scale is unique in that it does not contain enharmonics.

However, i did learn:
1) Do Re Mi is known as "soflage", a method of "ear training" music (simple definition---see Brian' post) This backs up my previous theory of what i referred to as "tonal representation" of the major scale.
2) In other countries they do represent the key of a song by the soflage method.
3) I'm glad i'm not learning guitar in those countries!

Who said closed minded people couldn't learn something? We have to ask the question: What would Andres Segovia Do?
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:DO RE MI C D E ???? 14 years 8 months ago #1638

This is a test response. Please advise me if you are having any technical difficulties with your post. For instance, have any posts you made not register. Send your problem to me via email but don't reply here to this thread.

Thanks.
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 50

Re:DO RE MI C D E ???? 14 years 8 months ago #1646

BTW. Everything starts with C since there are no sharps or flats in the key of C. Even Bach did it when he wrote the Well Tempered Clarier. He started with C, C#, D, D#, etc. Just for what it's worth.
  • brilind

Re:DO RE MI C D E ???? 14 years 7 months ago #1735

I found sheet music for some Django Reinhardt songs that someone had scanned in from a French songbook. The chords were written out in solfege rather than in letters or in Nashville numbers. To make it easier I just wrote in the Nashville numbers and translated it before I started to learn some of the chords.

Solfege, I understand, is more common on the European continent than it is in the US.

Just replace do with I, re with II, me with III and so on, if you ever see this. You see things like La7 which "translates" into VI7 or the 6th chord with a dominant 7th relative to the key.

All other notation in European books, that I've seen, look standard.
  • OutlawSteph
  • Junior Boarder

Re:DO RE MI C D E ???? 14 years 7 months ago #1740

And that was my initial question...I wondered why someone took the time to give the do re mi....a number system...why not just take it from the do re mi itself....as I learned...in another country :) But Brian did answer my question and I'm happy :)
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds