Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Nothing comes easy

Nothing comes easy 14 years 9 months ago #1376

I'm seeing more often than not, nothing comes easy with music. My struggle is with the F chord. I've tried hiding from it, but it finds me. I'm thinking i may have bad dreams about F! I've even tried replacing the open F (i think it's called that) with his close relative, the barre F. My fingers like the barre better. So i try rationalizing. You know, those convenient excuses to explain away something you know is wrong. I rationalized that the barre F is more convenient, the shape is easily moved, it's a shortcut, i cna get all the strings to ring, so i'll play that. But i never see Dave playing that shape with bluegrass.
My only conclusion is that the barre isn't an economical move to C, as you have to lift the barre, get the C at the 2nd string while shifting the middle and ring finger for the bass notes in the C. This method seems to work, but i'm sure there's a reason why we don't play the barre F.
I even tried a 4 finger version that uses the 1st and 2nd finger on the 1st and 2nd strings, which is also easy to play, but may also get to busy to change to C...
I'll keep digging until it just happens. Who would have thought a 3 finger chord would be so challenging...
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Nothing comes easy 14 years 9 months ago #1377

Someone has confused you.. probably a banjo player. Just kidding. :laugh:

F can be played two ways: first is the barre shape using your first finger to cover the first fret, then the "E" shape.

OR, you can fret the 6th string with your thumb, then your first finger will cover the 1st and 2nd string, you middle finger takes the 3rd string, your pinky takes the 4th string and your ringer finger the 5th.

Banjo players use a "open" F which I believe is Ralph Stanley inspired. I like the sound of it. Like this: 03210. You can always experiment and tune your guitar to Open G: DGDGBD.

An "open" F on the guitar in standard tuning is actually Fmaj7, the open E being the major 7th of F, a completely different sound.

A C to Fmaj7 (I to IVmaj7) change is something that I've heard in a few rock ballads from the 60s and 70s. Since both chords share the E note, it's acting as what is called pedal tone... a note that sustains over an entire progression. This gets back to voice leading.. the E is bringing your ear back to the I chord, either from the IV or V.
  • OutlawSteph
  • Junior Boarder
Last Edit: 14 years 9 months ago by OutlawSteph.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.066 seconds