Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: I PREFER MORNINGS!

I PREFER MORNINGS! 14 years 7 months ago #1860

I have known my whole life that I'm a morning person. If I need to get something done and done well it has to be done in the morning. This has never been a problem. When I was teaching I would get up at 5:00am to go running because if I didn't do it first thing in the morning my day was "ruined" not to mention that I couldn't come back from "dealing" with 160 adolescents and go hit the pavement. Then I retired so I didn't have to get up as early to get my run in....but the heat made me get up somewhat early....(or I would fry) so I still had a pretty long morning. Then I decided I wanted to get back to my piano. No problem....I could get up, run, practice the piano and still had tons of time. Cooking came up....As I was retired it was time to start cooking for Sam again...so no problem....I would do that after the piano. Then I decided I wanted to explore new worlds....guitar playing.....I signed up for class...bought a guitar....and now that also has to be squeezed into my mornings.....But I also felt I had to give back to society so I started volunteering. Yes, you guessed it...I like doing that in the mornings too. Then the mandolin bug hit me....and now THERE'S JUST NOT ENOUGH TIME IN THE MORNINGS ANY MORE..... Do you see my dilemma? I need to figure out how to do things in the afternoons too....or even evenings....But I don't LIKE IT! My body shuts down from 1:00-4:00p.m....(I could give up cooking... :evil:) My point is that for me to get in a good practice it has to be done in the mornings. If I wait till later in the day the practice is cut short or I put it off until the "next day". As "mastering these instruments" is what I'm after, I manage to get my practice in most mornings but I wish I could spread things out during the day. My life would not be as stressful! Any suggestions??? :huh:
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:I PREFER MORNINGS! 14 years 7 months ago #1861

You have a bit of a quandry on your hands. You need either:
1)More time
2)Less instruments
3)Give up something
4)Spread it out
I think you answered your own question without even knowing it. You can't get more time, so that's out. You said you want to master both instruments, which is a huge order to fill. My humble opinion says keep life simple and learn one. Mastering is probably impossible, guys like Frampton, Clapton, Satriani and Beck most likely will say they haven't mastered the guitar. Dave's been playing for some 40 years,and he still practices. I think he would agree it hasn't been mastered. There's always something to learn. But there's light at the end of the tunnel. You could play both instruments well, but having taken on that task will require double the practice. Since you are new to the mandolin, i would practice that one at my best time of the day (in your case, morning) Save the guitar (or piano)for the evening. Actually, i'd sell the piano, and re-coup your investment on the mandolin. Maybe buy another guitar, or some cool effects pedal for that tiger Les Paul.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:I PREFER MORNINGS! 14 years 7 months ago #1864

Thanks Dave 2311...but first let me explain what I mean by "mastering"....in my book "mastering" is being able to pick up the guitar and play anything that I know the tune to. I certainly don't expect to be a "master" at it....I don't even expect to play as well as Sam....I just want to be able to play tunes that people want to sing along to. And I could NEVER sell my piano....that's my first love! Not to mention the connection that I feel to my dad when I play it....How come you didn't mention the "cooking"? Is that a "man" thing????? I could sell the entire kitchen and not feel a bit of remorse...but never my Petey the Piano...but I appreciate your suggestions....I have transfered the guitar time to after dinner...the mandolin in the mornings and the piano when I'm in the mood for chilling... :P
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Re:I PREFER MORNINGS! 14 years 7 months ago #1865

I too am best in the morning but unforturnately I work from 7:00 to 4:00 so my music is usually performed at my worst biological time. Like you, am sure that I will play my piano again in earnest th thought of selling it (all 7 foort 4 inches) is unthinkable. I think I will just have to settle on the Banjo and piano and since mastering them is more than I will accomplihs in this lifetime I will have to be content at occasionally sounding like I can play and enjoying making "music" with others. I really do believe that the activity will fend off depression and maybe a bit of old age dementia.
  • brilind

Re:I PREFER MORNINGS! 14 years 7 months ago #1867

Yes,
I also found the lack of the suggestion to loose cooking duties highly suspect...
Hmmmmmmmmm
  • deafstrum
  • Expert Boarder

Re:I PREFER MORNINGS! 14 years 7 months ago #1876

I hope you're right about the "old age dementia", brilind....or all will be for naught ! ! ! !
  • Gogogal
  • Expert Boarder
  • Page:
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds