Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: CHANGE YOUR STRINGS

Re:CHANGE YOUR STRINGS 14 years 3 months ago #2329

Changing strings is a great idea. typically the problems people have with changing strings is that they don't lock in the string so it keeps slipping until it finally catches. As a result everyone seems afraid not to have about 6 extra inches of string (arranged in a loop) to account for the slipping.

Tony Trischka's method goes something like this.....

Put the string on as normal with the hole in the tuner parallel with the fingerboard. Put the string the tuner hole and wind the string is wound with he straight part of the string nearest to the middle of the headstock. Don't pull the string taught just wind it up.

Take about 7/8 of a turn

Loop around the shaft of the tuner in the opposite direction and thead the free end under the string and pull up.

This puts a hitch in the string that catches

Wind the string till it catches and is taught

Pull up lightly on the string a few times to remove any excess slack

Tune and if you did everything right the string will slip minimally and hold its tuning.

Trim closely (I am not responsible for any mess ups). I usually leave about 3/8 inch or so. The job should be done without any silly loops or long string ends to impale yourself on.

Maybe it was just me but I can't be the only one that had this problem, can I ???

Hope it helps.
  • brilind
Last Edit: 14 years 3 months ago by brilind.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:CHANGE YOUR STRINGS 14 years 3 months ago #2335

I haven't changed strings once without drawing a little blood.
I just changed strings this week end...didnt realize this pack of strings had a slightly heavier gauge. My mando plays a little diffent...still getting used to the change.
  • dcone
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Re:CHANGE YOUR STRINGS 14 years 3 months ago #2339

No one as of yet has suggested any technique to avoid sticking the string ends into the tips of your finger(s). That's one of the worst problems with changing strings and I usually do it 3-4 times per string set. Then I grab some salty chips to munch on and it burns again.

Silvia - is Sam available to change strings for the general public? or class members?? Probably not, but your mandolin sounds good, it is kept in immaculate condition and always has fresh strings.
  • Kmando
  • User is blocked

Re:CHANGE YOUR STRINGS 14 years 3 months ago #2347

:) I'm proud to say that I can, and have changed my own strings. Dave had done it for me a couple of times, but then I felt I was abusing his kindness, so I decided to tackle it myself. I was actually very pleased the first time I did it successfully. I've done it twice already. I haven't changed them on my new Martin yet....I'm a bit intimidated by that thought. But I'll guess I'll have to when the time comes. But, Tigerpaws, for those of us who don't have a Sam around, it forces us to be self-sufficient, whether we like it or not.:cheer:
  • Gogogal
  • Expert Boarder

Re:CHANGE YOUR STRINGS 14 years 3 months ago #2350

Perhaps this is an opportunity to start a business changing strings on fretted instruments for people who just don't seem to want to or are unable to do it. Maybe we could qualify for some shovel ready stimulus money from the Feds for creating jobs for America. B)
  • screendude
  • Gold Boarder

Re:CHANGE YOUR STRINGS 14 years 3 months ago #2353

Hey, maybe I can convince Sam to apply for this stimulus!!! He can always open up a shop in his hangar HA HA HA HA... I see this happening...He has barely given me a parking space there....and it's our garage too :P !
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.103 seconds