Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Timing is everything

Timing is everything 14 years 1 month ago #2709

For some of you gear heads out there, ever notice how crappy an engine runs if the timing isn't correct? If it's off a few degrees, it will either belch a fireball out of the carb, or will simply crank and do nothing.
In an effort to make my guitar playing better, i decided to dust off the met when i play scales. I start with a pathetically slow 1/4 note beat @ 40 BPM, play the scale 5 times thru, and increase the BPM by 10, and play it again 5 times thru and so forth. If i stumble on a note, (this counts note clarity and timing) i start the process over until i get it correct. I had better be playing the note on the click of the met. All this repitition has trained my brain for proper timing perception, and i'm committing the scale to memory. I like to play box scales string to string versus the single string scales, although single string scales are a good finger stretch excercise. Also, i try to either look at the met or the scale tab while playing, in an effort to get used to looking around while i play, so i'm not isolating myself in a bubble. The more i repeat it, i'm finding it easier to not be staring at my fretting hand so much when i play. At one point, at 70 BPM, i was able to look up, and watch something on the Military Channel while i was playing (hey, they were talking about one of my favorite WW2 fighters, the P-38 Lightning)
While not as glamorous as learning an Eagles tune, it does help with the fundamentals of guitar playing, timing and scales.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Timing is everything 14 years 1 month ago #2715

My daughter just told me she has started taking guitar lessons! She lives in CT....wish I could suggest our class to her.. I will pass along your practice strategy...It sounds good!
  • mompodell
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Timing is everything 14 years 1 month ago #2718

Mom, no fiddle blood in her? If our class is an indicator of fretted to non-fretted instruments, we need more fiddles.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:Timing is everything 14 years 1 month ago #2728

That's a good idea Dave. In my private lesson, I told Dave that I had been playing scales to the metronome...he thought it a good idea, and suggested I do that a little everytime I practice.
  • dcone
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.073 seconds