Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Muscle memory

Muscle memory 14 years 1 month ago #2779

I'm finding much about guitar playing is muscle memory and repitition. I'm attempting to learn Bon Jovi's Wanted Dead or Alive. The opening riff is probably the most recognizable part of the tune, and the accuracy and smoothness of the walk down the neck is key. It actually sounds good on a 6 string, just not as jangly. You are only playing 3 notes, the D string drone under moving dyads played on the 1st and 3rd strings, starting at the 14th fret and moving down the neck to the 3rd, in 1/2 to 1 1/2 step increments. The hardest part is fretting notes way up high on a non-cutout guitar, while walking the tune down. I guess i could break out the cutaway, but i just like the tone on the Martin. But i've found that as i break it down into little increments, and repeat, i can actually play it pretty smooth after lots of repitition. Amazing how something that appears so simple, can be a stumper! I usually screw it up when i get over-joyed at the sound, and totally lose concentration. I set little goals based on accuracy with speed within a given movement of frets. If i stumble, i start over at a slower speed, and walk it again until i get it right, then add a movement or 2. It gets easier with repetition. A really fun tune, and sounds good on acoustic (at least what i've seen on youtube)
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.060 seconds