Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Observations on Practicing with a Metronome

Observations on Practicing with a Metronome 13 years 9 months ago #3523

Lately I have really gotten into learning a song using a metronome and starting really slow (about 60 or so for 1/8 note) until everything is perfect, notes, hammer ons, pull offs, etc. What I noticed is that more often than not I mess up by hesitating to play a note which is bad a playing a wrong note, particularly when playing with others.

Don't bother going faster than 60 or slow until it is perfect. I am also finding that sometimes the way I play a section has to change to increase speed.

People always say how great they play at home. In my opinion, they are just forgiving the hesitations and less than perfect notes since they are so actively playing and not listening. A good argument to record yourself.
  • brilind
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Observations on Practicing with a Metronome 13 years 9 months ago #3530

If you have a computer, but no metronome:

webmetronome.com/
  • mompodell
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Observations on Practicing with a Metronome 13 years 8 months ago #3695

"sometimes the way I play a section has to change to increase speed." This having been said by briland is why it is important to me to practice at faster speeds as well. I've made up licks at slower speeds that I have a hard time playing at faster speeds. Sometimes I can play something better faster than slower so I'll make a point to practice it slower. All in a nutshell: learn at slower speeds to play it properly but, always push yourself to be able to play it at its normal bpm (sometimes that's pretty fast). I have noticed that a group has a tendency to increase the tempo as the song moves along. That is something we all need to concentrate on. There's not a better feeling when the "pocket" is good. We have to trust each other when playing together.
  • george
  • Gold Boarder
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds