Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Nashville numbering system

Nashville numbering system 13 years 9 months ago #3575

I know I have been improving some on my playing, but in class, when fretmentor starts calling out chords using the numbering system...I get lost. So I bought 2 copies of the Nashville Numbering System, written by Neal Matthews...who invented the system. One copy is for the drawing in class. I haven't finished the book yet, but I think it is a good supplement for what I have been learning from Fretmentor in the private lessons. Still don't get it yet.
  • dcone
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Nashville numbering system 13 years 9 months ago #3580

To me the Nashville numbering just calls out the interval rather than the note so everything is valid for all keys. The I is the root, the 2 is a second (whole step), 3 a third, 4 is a perfect 4th, 5 is perfect 5th, etc. This carries on for the 7, Maj. 7, etc.

It's just a quick way of conveying the chords in a way that holds true even if you modulate.

Pretty straight forward, unless I'm missing something.
  • brilind

Re:Nashville numbering system 13 years 8 months ago #3606

Hey brilind: What is a "perfect fourth" or "perfect fifth?" Are there imperfect versions? What's the difference?

Re:Nashville numbering system 13 years 8 months ago #3607

The 4ths and 5ths are called perfect since they are theoretically neither majors or minors. This has to do with harmonic theory which is presently above my head also.

See: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perfect_fourth

Good luck.
  • brilind
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds