Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: HERE'S MY PROBLEM!

HERE'S MY PROBLEM! 13 years 7 months ago #3899

I guess most of you know that I've been taking mandolin lessons too. I have no problem playing the leads at home when I'm looking at my book. I don't really have to "follow" the tablature, but looking at the song "reminds" me of how the melody goes...(for the mandolin). In class when the banjo or guitar starts I can not remember for the life of me my mandolin lead (unless I can look at my book)and let me add that this doesn't happen to me with the guitar. How do those of you that play more than 1 instrument remember? Guess being new to Bluegrass doesn't help either..... :blink:
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:HERE'S MY PROBLEM! 13 years 7 months ago #3902

I remember by hearing. At home I can hear every note I play and every note I miss. In the group setting I have trouble hearing what I’m playing and end up missing notes or playing the wrong notes and not being able to play the lead, even if I know it by heart. :unsure:
  • screendude
  • Gold Boarder

Re:HERE'S MY PROBLEM! 13 years 7 months ago #3904

Try humming it. I only play guitar but, I hum and visualize my leads all day long (as long as my concentration isn't required on something else) I find the best time is when I'm driving. And keep the music handy at all times just in case a mental note drops off. Get it..."mental note".:laugh:
  • george
  • Gold Boarder

Re:HERE'S MY PROBLEM! 13 years 7 months ago #3910

Good tip, that was one of Jens' points -- if you can't sing / hum your music, you don't know the music, you're just making mechanical movements. He challenged me to sing or hum a couple of simple banjo leads, and he was right - I couldn't do it. I've worked more on learning and "internalizing" the music to make it come out of the fingers better.
  • ckinzel

Re:HERE'S MY PROBLEM! 13 years 7 months ago #3912

I can humm the tunes and I can sing the lyrics, but if I don't get the correct finger on the right string at the proper fret, it just doesn't work. And that's just machanics.
  • screendude
  • Gold Boarder

Re:HERE'S MY PROBLEM! 13 years 7 months ago #3914

Oh!!! The mechanics! ...firm believer in hitting the right strings. This has been (working on was) my major problem when I joined Fretmentor but I have been playing [the G scale] a lot and that has improved my problem. I implore you, play the G scale, leard it up and down(first position((meaning top of the neck))). Play it every day. You'll find yourself playing it faster (about 2 weeks of playing it every day for me). One day you're going to feel something that will put a smile on your face. Your fingers are moving more fluidly and your picking hand is following them!!!:woohoo:
  • george
  • Gold Boarder
  • Page:
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.087 seconds