Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: playing without always looking at fretting hand

Re:playing without always looking at fretting hand 13 years 4 months ago #4491

football with the sound turned down. Sunday's answer to practicing without looking at your hands. Also, play in the dark (with Monday night football on in the background).
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:playing without always looking at fretting hand 13 years 4 months ago #4507

Play while looking up. When you mess up, look right (opposite of the neck for you left-handers) and try to make the correction. Just make the correction without looking :X (I finally found a place to put that little guy)
  • george
  • Gold Boarder

Re:playing without always looking at fretting hand 13 years 3 months ago #4558

Thank you for every ones input, I installed a mirror this weekend in my studio. The first thing I noticed was my posture wasn't very good. I also saw that on strings 4-5-6 I'm pulling down on the string causing a slight tonal change ( practicing slower will probably take care of that). I found it is also a way to see if your picking up and down when on the same string. I'll keep practicing with the mirror technique and keep y'all informed if I make progress :laugh:
  • oscar
  • Junior Boarder

Re:playing without always looking at fretting hand 13 years 3 months ago #4602

I tried the mirror thing a few days ago. It's definitely an interesting approach - not so much for my fretting hand - but my strumming hand. I'm trying to put a little less wrist and a little more elbow into it. The mirror helps.

Re:playing without always looking at fretting hand 13 years 3 months ago #4688

I will have to try the mirror. But it will be difficult to install a mirror in my living room, where I normally practice. I guess I can go play in the closet where my wife has a full-length mirror. The way I've been playing lately, that might be the best place for me anyway. :laugh:

Re:playing without always looking at fretting hand 13 years 2 months ago #4802

There was one reply -way back! - that suggested closing your eyes. That actually works for me - I start to visualize the chords & the picking patterns - & actually find it easier to concentrate since I'm not distracted by everything around me.
  • ponhook_pickers
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.086 seconds