Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Going from open to barre

Going from open to barre 12 years 8 months ago #5701

I have a major (no pun) problem going from open position to barre positions smoothly and accurately. This happens in some major keys where the relative minor happens to be a barre chord (D, E,and A). To get better at this, i set my met for a ridiculously slow speed (40). On the click, i strum an open chord--like Dmaj---and quickly set up for the minor, in this case a Bm barre, before the next click, and strum it. If it sounds flat, or my fingering is off, i slow the met down, and try it again. The idea is to build speed with accuracy, especially for the accurate placement of the 2nd, 3rd and 4th fingers of that chord. Make it ring!
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Going from open to barre 12 years 8 months ago #5747

Dave2311, that's a good tip! I have trouble traversing from standard forms to barre chords as well. I'm going to try using that method.
Thanks for the tip!
  • espian
  • Expert Boarder

Re:Going from open to barre 12 years 8 months ago #5791

It seems like some barres are easier than others. I found the E and E minor forms easier, so I can comfortably play a full G minor chord - but I have a really hard time with A and A minor forms. I just can't seem to make them qleanly or quickly. I guess I'll just keep plugging away.

Re:Going from open to barre 12 years 8 months ago #5807

I agree, i like the E shape barres. I have better leverage on the those shapes, i guess the placement of my thumb on the neck places more pressure in just the right place to get a good crush (for lack of a better term) on the strings to sound all the notes. I'm going to work with some 1/4/5 progressions with the barres to practice them.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:Going from open to barre 12 years 8 months ago #5808

In addition, the Em shapes are among the easiest to play (Like F#m), only have to fret the 4th and 5th strings (@ the 4th) with the barre @ the 2nd. Adjacent strings in the Em shape seem to be easier because they lie right next to each other. Unlike the Am shapes, from where Bm and the C#m comes from. Just take the Am shape to the 5th fret, playing with the middle, ring and pinky, and barre with the index @ the 4th. I guess you could play a shortcut C#m by just playing the Am shape at the 5th, and strum only the 4th, 3rd,and 2nd strings, but this would require pick control to sound correct...better not be playing a fast strumming song! Plus, in my humble opinion, it's a crutch that should be avoided.
I think one way to gain muscle memory would be to alter how you play the basic open chord shapes, to mimick the fingering you would have in a barre position, like fingering the Am with the middle/ring/pinky to build up strength. i think practicing this way would build the mechanical memory for that fingering. The only thing needed after that is leverage with the index to fill out the chord.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds