Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: New TabEdit Banjo Tab for Soldiers' joy - Help

New TabEdit Banjo Tab for Soldiers' joy - Help 13 years 6 months ago #4139

In the new TabEdit version of Soldier's Joy (banjo), the title block says C tuning, Key of C. But the chords shown above the tablature would imply key of D (D/I, G/IV, A/V). There is no definition of C tuning, nor any instruction to capo.

I can play it in C from open G tuning by the tablature, and transpose the chords to C (C/I, F/IV, G/V). If I capo at 2, the key of C chords would become the key of D, but shouldn't the tablature show the chords as if the capo where the nut?

I guess I'm pretty confused on this song about key, chord progression, and tuning. Can you help set me straight here?
  • ckinzel
Last Edit: 13 years 6 months ago by ckinzel.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:New TabEdit Banjo Tab for Soldiers' joy - Help 13 years 6 months ago #4145

CKinzel - Thanks for your inquiry.

The song is correctly listed as C tuning for the banjo version. The banjo's forth string should be lowered to C from an open D. When playing with the guitar and mandolin (which are written in D) the banjo player should capo to the 2nd fret while playing in Open C Tuning.

Pay careful attention to your new chord structure, since the 4th string changes. All banjo chord positions are different on the 4th string as well.
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 50
The administrator has disabled public write access.
Time to create page: 0.065 seconds