Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Music Theory Zoom Class #5

Music Theory Zoom Class #5 3 years 10 months ago #10074

In Class 5 we covered the following

1. The circle of fifths was displayed and we reviewed the differences between the Major and Minor scales. The Key of C was used as an example.

2. After a question was raised as to the practical application of the circle to the instrument I demonstrated how to determine the first 6 scales notes with two strings. I explained the difference of the tuning for the Ukulele, guitar, banjo and mandolin/fiddle.

3. Students were asked to demonstrate the strings in relation to the root note played on any given string.

FM
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 50
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Music Theory Zoom Class #5 3 years 10 months ago #10077

David,
I feel that I mostly understand what we cover in class although it all becomes less clear after class.
I am very confused about what you showed us at the end of class by using the number, I,IV,V, etc. to find notes ( or chords?) on the strings of
The instrument.
Can you send a sketch or illustration or explanation to help?

Claudia
  • Occred
  • Fresh Boarder

Music Theory Zoom Class #5 3 years 10 months ago #10078

To respond to your question about the I, IV V notes or chords

1. Do not confuse the tuning of the instrument with the relationship of a string and a subsequent string. Since you are a Ukulele player, I will explain this in relationship to the ukulele

The tuning of the instrument is

4th (G)
3rd (C)
2nd (E)
1st (A)

The letter of the notes change as you go up the neck from open to 12 and beyond

If you look at your circle C is the 4th of G
Likewise A is the 4th of E
E however, if the 3rd note of the C major scale

If the open 1st string is the 4th of the open 2nd string, then that relationship holds true as you fret the second and 1st string on the same fret.

if, however, you started a scale on the third string open than the second string open is not the 4th scale note (in relation to the first note played but it is the 3rd note of the scale.

The reason we use I, IV, V is that those are the three basic major or minor chords we use to play a song and by fining the I, IV and V notes, you are playing the root notes of those chords.

Hope this helps.

FM
  • Administrator

Music Theory Zoom Class #5 3 years 10 months ago #10094

I still have some trouble with the last part we discussed as to the relationship of the strings. I understand with open strings the C is the fourth of G. I understand the A is he fourth of E. And the relation of the third and fourth string is a different relationship. I do understand that the relationship does hold going up the fret. What I don’t understand is what that information tells me. I don’t understand is how that determines the key and how I determine the I, IV & V notes.

Aso I would suggest that maybe you could use a white board to illustrate the relationship of the strings. It is hard to see in the Zoom format which strings you are holding down.
  • Occred
  • Fresh Boarder

Music Theory Zoom Class #5 3 years 10 months ago #10095

Understanding the relationship of the strings will help you play melody lines from scales played on adjoining strings. It will also help you find the IV and V in relation to the I (root note)

The Key is determined from any first note you play in a scale. That note is the root and can start anywhere on the instrument .

Hope this helps.

FM
  • Administrator
Time to create page: 0.083 seconds