Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Guitar Necks

Re:Guitar Necks 14 years 9 months ago #1177

Administrator wrote:
Dave -

If you decide to purchase another guitar, let me know first. I will get you the best guitar for the price.

I'm trying to decide on Taylor or Martin. First Quality appears to be out of the Martin models i've narrowed down to. (DX16GT, DX1) Their site says they will have more GTs in August. I'm not in a hurry, just trying to make a good decision. The prices appear to come down to materials, micarta vs. rosewood on fingerboards, HPL mahogany vs. solid mahogany or sepele on the rear and sides, etc... I will definitely go thru you and First Quality on it.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Guitar Necks 14 years 9 months ago #1178

Dave2311 wrote:
Administrator wrote:
Dave -

If you decide to purchase another guitar, let me know first. I will get you the best guitar for the price.

I'm trying to decide on Taylor or Martin. First Quality appears to be out of the Martin models i've narrowed down to. (DX16GT, DX1) Their site says they will have more GTs in August. I'm not in a hurry, just trying to make a good decision. The prices appear to come down to materials, micarta vs. rosewood on fingerboards, HPL mahogany vs. solid mahogany or sepele on the rear and sides, etc... I will definitely go thru you and First Quality on it.

Dave,
Again I urge you to go to guitar shops and play guitar if you haven't already. Shumaker's up in Stuart (US1 and Kanner) is a dealer for both Martin and Taylor. Both are excellent guitar makers but have a totally different sound. Depending what you want to play, you should familiar yourself with their individual "sound". Generally, Taylors are sweet, precise and their electronics are very good. Taylor lovers often call Martins too "boomy".
Martins are generally deeper tone-wise with more overtones and a throatier sound. Their volume is usually higher and are the pick (along with the Martin clone makers) for bluegrass players. Martin lovers usually feel the Taylors are anemic and thin sounding.
As far as back and side material, I feel solid wood is always the best because as good as it sounds now, soild wood seems to continue to get better with age. An HPL (high pressure laminate) back and sides guitar will change a lot less over the years. I am talking years,not months, here.
I would figure out the artists you like the sound of, find out what guitars they used on the recordings, and go out an play, play, play. SOund preference is subjective between guitar models, let alone makers.
George's Musician Superstore in the PalmBeach Mall also carries both Martin and Taylor. They havemore lower end Martins than they do upper end Martins. You might find what
your looking to try there.
Hope any of this helps.
  • Ray

Re:Guitar Necks 14 years 9 months ago #1181

Dave, I too purchased my guitar with Dave's help. Once you find what you want he can certainly get the best deal. Guitar Center also has Martins & Taylors. I've spent many hours there playing several different brands & styles. Rey is right, when you pick on the right one, you'll know. Good luck & have fun!
  • espian
  • Expert Boarder

Re:Guitar Necks 14 years 9 months ago #1185

Thanks guys, i'll most certainly do that. I've seen Martins and Taylors at Guitar Center, i'll go over there and spend some time in the acoustic room. They swing thru extremes over there, they have the cheaper DX1's, then they have a high end model for almost 5K. Then they have a flood of other makes. I may be leaning toward the Martin for it's booming low end. I like hearing that bass note in our bluegrass songs. Since Dave is connected with First Quality, i'll go thru him. I know i want a pure acoustic with no electronics, since i have no need for them. (i'd rather support a local musician i know anyway) Our worship leader @ church, was playing an un-ampped Martin, and i was surprised at the projection of the sound, considering his mic wasn't anywhere near the sound hole of the guitar. The other instruments dropped out, and he was playing a prayerful type of solo at the end of the song, and it sounded like it was plugged in, but i didn't see any pick ups or wires.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave
  • Page:
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds