Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Guitar Necks

Guitar Necks 14 years 10 months ago #1137

I've noticed that on standard acoustic guitars, the neck joins the body at the 12th fret. On cut-a-ways, at the 14th. Why is this? Is it because of the scaling of the fretboard, is it just some standard amongst guitar fabricators? Or just dumb luck?
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Guitar Necks 14 years 10 months ago #1154

I'm most familiar with dreadnaughts and their standard is 14 fret. Most slot head guitars are 12 fret. My 0000 (M) size guitar is 14 fret. Once you get into OM's and 00's and 000's, there are standards that are often strayed from. The scale is nut to saddle and has nothing to do, really with how many frets are free of the body. That just seems to be D.C. (designer's choice)

Stay tuned, there may be more precise answers coming.
  • Ray

Re:Guitar Necks 14 years 10 months ago #1157

cut-aways are for access to the higher frets. mostly for leads.
  • jim
  • Senior Boarder
  • jim bennett

Re:Guitar Necks 14 years 10 months ago #1170

Ray wrote:
I'm most familiar with dreadnaughts and their standard is 14 fret. Most slot head guitars are 12 fret. My 0000 (M) size guitar is 14 fret. Once you get into OM's and 00's and 000's, there are standards that are often strayed from. The scale is nut to saddle and has nothing to do, really with how many frets are free of the body. That just seems to be D.C. (designer's choice)

I don't understand the numeration with regard to size. I know that dreadnoughts typically have a larger body, but at what point is it considered a dread? I'm considering purchasing another guitar, possibly an entry level Martin DX. I want a non-cutaway, without electronics. I think the full bodied guitars have better tone. I don't often get high enough on the neck to justify the cutaway, especially with the tunes we play in class. I'm ready for higher quality, but within my budget.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:Guitar Necks 14 years 10 months ago #1171

Dave -

If you decide to purchase another guitar, let me know first. I will get you the best guitar for the price.
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 50

Re:Guitar Necks 14 years 10 months ago #1175

Dave2311 wrote:
Ray wrote:

I don't understand the numeration with regard to size. I know that dreadnoughts typically have a larger body, but at what point is it considered a dread? I'm considering purchasing another guitar, possibly an entry level Martin DX. I want a non-cutaway, without electronics. I think the full bodied guitars have better tone. I don't often get high enough on the neck to justify the cutaway, especially with the tunes we play in class. I'm ready for higher quality, but within my budget.

In the 30's, Martin came out with the large sized guitar to produce the volume needed with the other instruments it was playing with and to handle the steel strings needed for volume as well. It was named the "dreadnaught" after the famous english warships. Their specs for that guitar became standard as did the guitar because of it's popularity. So now a dreadnaught, regardless of who it's built by has standard or, close to standard dimensions including across lower and upper bouts, depth and body length. There are, of course, variations to the specs but they are usually pointed out when advertising the guitar.
The Martin DX's are nice guitars from what I have read and heard on other forums. I have an 00X1 whichis the "X" line in the 00 size, a smaller bodied guitar. It has a really neat sound and the back and sides are nearly indestructable. The solid sitka spruce top really makes the difference.
As Dave says, he has an "in" with FMQS and can probably get you a great deal on a new one. If you have the chance, I would go out and play as many guitars as you possibly can. I know for a fact that your guitar will find you and you will know it when it does.
Good luck, guitar shopping is about my favorite thing to do. Too bad it isn't practicing them,huh?
  • Ray
  • Page:
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.081 seconds