Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Creating Melodies

Creating Melodies 14 years 5 months ago #1973

I wanted to create a Christmas melody by using my church hymnal and some stuff Dave taught us as a guide. I don't read music well, and couldn't determine the key. The key signature had sharps over C and F (C#, F#) Is it C#, or F#? I took the highest notes from each measure,and played them on the guitar. I knew they may sound funky, since hymnals are written for vocals. For the "Joy to the world, the Lord has come" phrase i came up with D,C,B,A,G,F,E,D. It sounded ok,a good foundation, but not very bright. I thought i would move it up to G, so i moved all the notes up 5 note values and came up with G,F,E,D,D,C,B,A. It actually sounds good. For the "let earth receive her King" part i have D,E,E,F#,F#,G. It's a 2/4 tune, and this melody uses 1st-3rd strings. Now i have to finish the tune, and come up with chords.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Creating Melodies 14 years 5 months ago #2002

This is a great idea! I think I'll have to pull out some of the music books I have from when I was taking piano lessons to see if I can pick out some new tunes. My family would love to hear some Christmas tunes.

Re:Creating Melodies 14 years 5 months ago #2015

I just got tired of not seeing the Christmas songbooks come out in a timely manner to learn them. The neat thing about doing this is you get intimate with whatever scale you choose, instead of merely playing a scale, you actually get to work with it putting together something. I spent alot of time singing it in my head as i put the notes in. Now i have to figure out a chord progression that will back up the melody. Alot has to be done to make it fun. The hymnal got me in the ballpark. The neat thing is i can tab out the Gospel tunes, and the Christ centered Christmas tunes.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:Creating Melodies 14 years 5 months ago #2017

FYI -

For all those interested, I have a Christmas instructional CD in the works. Not sure when I will get it out but it would be nice to have out by this christmas.
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 50

Re:Creating Melodies 14 years 5 months ago #2020

Dave, that's great! I'll definitely buy 1.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:Creating Melodies 14 years 5 months ago #2021

Yep! It WOULD be nice BEFORE Christmas! ;)
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
  • Page:
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.078 seconds