Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Chord Progression memorizing

Chord Progression memorizing 14 years 5 months ago #2121

Much is said about dave listing chords to tunes, how we can't hear him, etc. I think it is alot easier in our environment if Dave just calls out the key, and calls out the chords using the Nashville numbering system. But we say we don't know the numerical representations of the chords in the different keys. I have a cool excercise that helps.
When i took Dave's guitar 1 class, in that cd there was a cool worksheet where we filled out all the notes in the scale, then we figured out what the major chords were (1,4,5) and the secondary, often minor, chords of the scale (2,3,6). Then at the bottom of the sheet, there were random progessions that we played, written in number format. You can have alot of fun with these, you would be surprised at how some people will comment "hey, i know that tune". Then you can exclaim with confidence: "That was just a 1/4/5/1 progression in the key of G. You would be surprised at how many guitar players that would not have a clue what you just said. It's great practice at committing the numerical representations to memory. Then, a "D" can't be confused with a "G" or a "C", because it would be called a 5, 1, 4. Dave stressed learning and playing these back then, now i see the importance of it. It will put you far ahead of other players as far as theory.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Chord Progression memorizing 14 years 5 months ago #2124

Great idea!
  • edbird
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Re:Chord Progression memorizing 14 years 4 months ago #2127

Nashville works for me. Now if we had a circle of 5ths on the wall it would be perfict;-)
  • screendude
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Chord Progression memorizing 14 years 4 months ago #2139

Ask Dave about his guitar 1 cd. He may have a similiar one for the banjo. There is alot of useful theory in there, guitar fingerboard worksheets, major scale study, and chord progressions, and i had a few Christmas songs in mine. Silent Night in G, White Christmas, Dust in the Wind by Kansas,and i think a Clapton song, (Wonderful Tonight) It's worth the money you pay for it. I think for tech, that beginner cd is better than his others.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:Chord Progression memorizing 14 years 1 month ago #2625

screendude wrote:
Nashville works for me. Now if we had a circle of 5ths on the wall it would be perfict;-)

I agree the Nashville numbers is helpful, but that Circle of 5ths is a whole different deal to figure it out!
  • adjohns3
  • Fresh Boarder

Re:Chord Progression memorizing 14 years 1 month ago #2632

It's probably not good for my guitar, but I printed out a small circle of 5ths and taped it to the back of my guitar body. You can probably just get a small one laminated and hook it to your guitar strap or something.
  • gatormha
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Page:
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds