Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: New to all of it.

Re:New to all of it. 14 years 3 days ago #3037

I had a great time last night practicing with two other members of the group...

I think we need a banjo player next time - the neighbors apparently didn't even know we were playing...
  • jayboca
  • Fresh Boarder
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:New to all of it. 14 years 3 days ago #3038

I think it gets "easier" and harder at the same time. I used to literally get so nervous just going to class when I first started, I would feel sick to my stomache at the thought of having to play in front of others. Now the challenge is not just to play in front of others, but to play better than the previous week. Even though we all know that we 'can play it perfectly at home', nerves take over when it really counts. I must say, though, it's nice that Fretmentor always reassures us that he doesn't care if we make mistakes as long as we keep the rhythm, but somehow we still want to do our best and get upset with ourselves when we don't.

The best thing about the class, I think, is how comfortable we all feel with each other and are very forgiving of mistakes. The cohesiveness of the group and the "comfort" level we feel with each other, makes the experience productive, fun and in spite of all the nerves, we have improved tremendously from those early days.:cheer:
  • Gogogal
  • Expert Boarder

Re:New to all of it. 14 years 2 days ago #3042

Just keep in mind that everyone in that class - including Fretmentor - was once sitting where you are. Just stick with it - it takes longer to gain the basic skill and accuracy at playing than most people (myself included)initially believed when they started.

Re:New to all of it. 13 years 11 months ago #3076

I have to admit that all of you in that class now how to make a new guy feel comfortable. I had a great time at last Wednesday class even after my first performance in front of you all. Thanks to all of you!
  • TonyM
  • Fresh Boarder

Re:New to all of it. 13 years 11 months ago #3082

Wednesday's class can't come soon enough. I've never been afraid of making mistakes and it's never bothered me to goof in front of an audience probably because of the fun I'm having and it never crosses my mind. But after a year or so since I've been with the class I'm feeling more drawn to bluegrass like I've never been! I'm also learning that practice pays dividends (really?).
  • george
  • Gold Boarder
  • Page:
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds