Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Old Man, New Trick (for me anyway)

Old Man, New Trick (for me anyway) 13 years 11 months ago #3040

I discovered something today with my capo that I think will work great for those songs that are in the key of G but the mandos & fiddles need to do in A. I was playing Neil Young's "Old Man" and wanted to tune to drop D. Being lazy, and having my capo handy, I figured I could just slip it on the bottom 5 strings at the second fret without having to re-tune. You get the added base note and can still play the G chord. I like drop D tuning...and my capo.
Have FUN!
  • espian
  • Expert Boarder
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Old Man, New Trick (for me anyway) 13 years 11 months ago #3083

I like the "old man new trick" section. My new trick isn't a trick.
I went from using a medium pick to a heavy(1mm) and found my licks are cleaner, I've got a better feel on string attack, and I'm not missing the strings as often. Also, the pick is not moving around between my grip as much. Try a Jim Dunlop Heavy.
  • george
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Old Man, New Trick (for me anyway) 13 years 10 months ago #3109

George, ever try a thumb pick? I never tried one, i know some players prefer them, to free up the other fingers. Seems to make sense that you would have more control.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:Old Man, New Trick (for me anyway) 13 years 10 months ago #3300

One trick or technique I've been focusing on to help smooth out leads and eliminate work is "double picking" in which I just consciously up pick when I can instead of always down picking. Its not something you can do all the time or sometimes it just sounds better with down picks. However,it definitely helps with speed!
  • Zak54
  • Fresh Boarder

Re:Old Man, New Trick (for me anyway) 13 years 10 months ago #3310

That up-picking definitely is a help. I thought I was doing fine until Mr. Fretmentor started commenting on my technique after I was done playing that I needed to start doing that. Once he hit me across the forehead with a 2x4 a couple of times, I started analyzing what I was actually doing and he was right, I wasn't even close. At my age it has taken a lot of concentration, well, when I actually practice anyway, to change that aspect, but it's coming along.

DISCLAIMER: I have legally posted, prior to noon on Wednesday. I have not been reminded by Tigerpaws to do so. I have not been reminded by Mr. Fretmentor to do so. I have not been guilt-ridden by my church to do so. Friends have not begged me to do so. There has been no money changing hands for me to do so. And, Tigerpaws has not written it for me!
  • Hogpaws
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Re:Old Man, New Trick (for me anyway) 13 years 10 months ago #3313

I have discovered that the up picking in some cases makes for a cleaner and faster break.
  • deafstrum
  • Expert Boarder
  • Page:
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.075 seconds