Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: My dirty guitar

My dirty guitar 13 years 4 months ago #4604

The other day I was practicing in an unusually well-lit area whne I noticed that my geetar was, um, well.. filthy. It had smudges and dust all over the parts that I think should have been shiny. I cleaned it up as well as I could using a soft towel, but should I be using some sort of special cleaner or polish? I know its made of wood, but the finish is so shiny it seems like polish is not necessary?
Or I could just keep playing in dim light....
  • palkan22
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 6
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:My dirty guitar 13 years 4 months ago #4605

most music stores sell a variety of cleaning cloths that are specifically made for cleaning instruments. There are some specifically for wood and others for metal.
Having said that, I have a cleaning cloth that goes by the trade name of "miracle cloth" (not bought from a music store) that works well on just about everything. If you can find where to buy it I recommend it.
  • martinezg
  • Expert Boarder

Re:My dirty guitar 13 years 4 months ago #4613

The polishes just have a bit of cleaner/degreaser in them which helps by not just spreading things around. Gibson or any number of other polishes with a clean cloth work fine. Metal parts need simichrome polish, which is the best.
  • brilind

Re:My dirty guitar 13 years 4 months ago #4614

playing in dim light is the easiest. I started by using regular furniture polish and a soft cloth and it worked okay. Then I got a nice kit at the music store whcih appears to consist of furniture polish and a soft cloth - but costs twice as much. :)

Re:My dirty guitar 13 years 4 months ago #4616

Playing in VERY dim light is actually the easiest, you can't see the dirt at all.
  • Hogpaws
  • Senior Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1

Re:My dirty guitar 13 years 4 months ago #4617

I'm no expert on the subject but most manufacturers do not recommend using furniture polish on your expensive guitar. You would think wood is wood right? I guess ultimately the choice is yours. I spend the little extra for the recommended products and use them sparingly.
  • espian
  • Expert Boarder
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.077 seconds