Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 300 tips and tricks for guitar

Re:300 tips and tricks for guitar 12 years 10 months ago #5488

I have two guitars that I regularly play and I have noticed a difference between them in the ease with which I can play certain chords, especially barre chords. And I suppose this had to do with the action being different on them. Although one is seemingly easier to play, I think I've actually learned more about how and where to place my fingers for difficult chords by playing the "harder" one.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:300 tips and tricks for guitar 12 years 9 months ago #5536

Playing the "harder" guitar may have strengthened your fingers. Barre chords do require good leverage to make them ring, especially on the finger that makes the barre.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:300 tips and tricks for guitar 12 years 9 months ago #5540

I think Dave is right on this one. Go with the "harder" guitar - it will just make you better and more precise.

Seems everyone's looking for a quick fix or easy out to help their playing - just like their golf game. You can go out on the course with a $750 driver, but if your basic swing stinks because you don't play or practice alot it's not going to do you any good.

Messing around with the settings on your guitar is not going to make you a better player - playing your guitar will. I hear too many stories of people lowering the nut or the truss and getting buzzing sounds on their strings afterwards that they can't fix after they've done it.

Re:300 tips and tricks for guitar 12 years 9 months ago #5541

It has good and bad points. I have read from various guitar books that suggest guitar students start with an acoustic because, as we all know, it takes proper finger placement and pressure to make the chords ring properly. Electrics are more forgiving here, it requires alot less finger pressure to sound a chord. Plus, you can't hide behind effects or distortion, it's just you and your guitar that makes the noise. I have also read that playing the harder guitar can be bad, in that it is so much harder in some cases to chord that many students simply get frustrated and put it down. I think there needs to be an economical balance between the two. I started with a cheap QVC guitar, then got a better one for the tonal quality. For me, it was a sound issue, and not so much playability. I fully expect most aspects of guitar playing to be challenging and not easy. I'm learning this from Fretmentor's private lessons, i have to correct alot of shortcuts i spoiled myself with.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:300 tips and tricks for guitar 11 years 10 months ago #6719

It has really opened my eyes to the guitar, and although I have been playing for 26 years.. I have learned more in the past few months than ever before and your instructors are all very skilled & knowledgeable, which makes the experience so much better.
Last Edit: 11 years 10 months ago by Administrator.

Re:300 tips and tricks for guitar 11 years 10 months ago #6730

Wow, 26 years....wish i would have stayed with it 15 years ago....but hey, God gives me grace to live, i still have a chance.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.074 seconds