Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: 300 tips and tricks for guitar

Re:300 tips and tricks for guitar 12 years 11 months ago #5390

One of the best tips we received from Fretmentor in Bluegrass class was how to start the playing session while in a group. The person appointed as leader counts out the tempo first as 1-2-3-4, and then next plays one measure of the leading chord in the song. On the second measure everyone comes in playing the one chord over again and again until the leader begins the melody line. Then off we go. I found this very helpful. I still don't know the technique on how to end the session however.
  • Jay
  • Junior Boarder
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:300 tips and tricks for guitar 12 years 11 months ago #5393

I always find myself standing when I play (never call it "practicing" according to the Kruger bros)so when I'm in class, it's a different feeling to be sitting. just sayin.
  • mompodell
  • Gold Boarder

Re:300 tips and tricks for guitar 12 years 11 months ago #5409

The thing I notice about playin' while standing up is that you force yourself to play without looking so much at the strings. Something I keep trying to do but haven't quite got yet. You're more inclined to keep the back of guitar flat against your body too which is so much more comfortable.
  • espian
  • Expert Boarder

Re:300 tips and tricks for guitar 12 years 10 months ago #5467

On most acoustics there is a bone or plastic, bridge insert in the bridge, most are removable. Couldn't that be trimmed down a few thousandths to lower the action? Of course the strings would have to come off-- I was looking at mine on my cheap guitar, the guitar side of the bridge is flat, seems like one could flat file it, and measure it with a digital caliper to get the desired height. If you screw it up, just go get another one. I would think we are talking about an 1/16th to 1/8th inch move. I noticed the as the strings get closer to the nut, the clearance is closer---maybe thats where the truss rod comes in. I've heard of players "having their actions lowered", and it seems they take them to a luthier to have it done, so i just assumed it was a pro job.
I've never messed with the truss rod on my guitars, i've always felt that it was best left to a pro. I thought you only mess with that if you change the tension of the strings,i didn't know it raised and lowered the action. I know i did change the string tension on my cheap guitar,then got fret buzz, i took it to guitar center, and the tech adjusted the truss rod, and it went away. At the time, i didn't know there was such an adjustment on a guitar. Freakin magic!
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:300 tips and tricks for guitar 12 years 10 months ago #5468

I would imagine if everyone gets a shot at their lead, the last lead player can end the song. I believe that's why Fretmentor wanted us to come up with our own tag runs in different keys so after you play your lead, you can go into the tag run. Of course, the rhythm players would have to key up on the clue, and come up with a suitable chord progression that suits the tag lick. In blues, they use a chord turn around towards the end, bluegrass can employ the same technique. Timing the ending and getting everyone on board is the hard part.
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:300 tips and tricks for guitar 12 years 10 months ago #5470

Dave2311: That piece is called the "saddle". I have had them filed down to lower the action but this must be coordinated with the truss rod adjustment to get optimal action. If you file it down too far or unevenly it will have to be replaced. Proceed with caution. I have a cheap acoustic bass guitar that I have been working at changing the action, including messing with the saddle height. I have nothing to lose here, and wouldn't try this with my nice acoustic guitars. I leave those to the luthier.
  • edbird
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 1
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.084 seconds