Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: guitar tuned in 4ths.

guitar tuned in 4ths. 15 years 4 weeks ago #747

I understand the concept, the next string is the fourth note of the scale. From the E(6th.)to the A(5th.) - A is the fourth.But from the G(3rd) to the B(2nd), B is the 3rd. (C) is the fourth?
  • Brice
  • Fresh Boarder
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:guitar tuned in 4ths. 15 years 4 weeks ago #750

There is a shift of one semi-time when going from the 3rd to the 2nd string. The 4th is one fret forward from the root on the 3rd string.
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 50
Last Edit: 15 years 4 weeks ago by Administrator. Reason: spelling

Re:guitar tuned in 4ths. 15 years 4 weeks ago #752

Dave, is this unique at the 2nd string because of the absence of accidentals between B&C? Heres how i see it---The 2nd string starts @ B. You "pick up" a fret in the incremental note count because of this. (B/C/C#/D/D#/E/F/ Etc. So if you pick a note on the 3rd string, it's 4th will always be 1 fret higher on the 2nd because of this phenomenon? It seems to make sense. Using the B note on the 3rd string 4th fret, the 4th of the B scale is E, and the E on the 2nd string is, voila, 2nd string 5th fret! I just got this....i'm slow...:side:
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:guitar tuned in 4ths. 15 years 4 weeks ago #754

WOW! I actually understood (and knew) what Dave was telling "Brice"! I'm amazed! maybe some of the stuff is actually staying in...(I believe Dave calls it "theory".) :laugh:
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Re:guitar tuned in 4ths. 15 years 4 weeks ago #756

I didn't get Dave's term "shirt", but i transposed it in my mind as "position". So i started looking at the fingerboard, and plugging in notes, and found the 1/2 step movement on the 2nd string for the 4th in relation to a note fretted on the 3rd string. Dave mentioned this last year when i took his guitar class, and i didn't quite understand why the 2nd string was different. I just kinda blew it off and said "whatever, teach me some chords"---- Now i see the reasoning behind the difference...The 2nd string on the guitar is tuned to a note that stays natural---no flats or sharps. Now,why did the designer of the guitar tune it in 4ths? This would be an interesting study. There is a reference to a person in the Old Testament of the Bible (the Book of Genesis)given credit for the invention of stringed instruments. I'll find out who that is, and we can expound. Several of the Psalms are written to be played with stringed instruments, but i'm not sure the guitar goes that far back. They may be referring to the harp or lyre...but i think a lyre has frets....
  • Dave2311
  • Platinum Boarder
Dave

Re:guitar tuned in 4ths. 15 years 4 weeks ago #761

The word is "shift" not shirt. My spelling error has been edited.
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 50
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.090 seconds