Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: TO CHOP OR NOT TO CHOP....????

TO CHOP OR NOT TO CHOP....???? 14 years 7 months ago #1712

Okay, I'm showing my ignorance again...but here it goes...When playing backup with the mandolin....is it always with a chop????? :huh:
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:TO CHOP OR NOT TO CHOP....???? 14 years 7 months ago #1722

Tigerpaws, to answer your question - ask somebody that knows! That somebody isn't me, but I will render my opinion.

I think the mandolin chop is mostly for rhythm especially in Bluegrass and other musical genre that have a big rhythm component(Jazz or Blues?). Supposedly, when not taking a break, the mandolin player often emphasises the off-beat with a cut-off chop chord. You have to do a four fingered chord since you are actually damping the strings and an open string will ring more than you want.

However, on most breaks and other genre of music you don't need the chop chords.

Now for the really important question that has puzzled musicans for eons! Why is the kitchen device that chops and slices vegetables called a mandolin? Does it have any thing to do with "chop" chords?
  • Kmando
  • User is blocked

Re:TO CHOP OR NOT TO CHOP....???? 14 years 7 months ago #1724

Thanks Kmando....and I didn't know that the "chopper" was called a "mandolin"....I always called mine the "chopper"...are you pulling my legs???? :P
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder

Re:TO CHOP OR NOT TO CHOP....???? 14 years 7 months ago #1727

I'm happy that you appreciate all my opinions and information. Perhaps you should discuss the use of the mandolin chop with Dave. I'd be glad to join in as long as you supply the chopped cabbage cole slaw. It really messes up the strings on my instrument.
  • Kmando
  • User is blocked

Re:TO CHOP OR NOT TO CHOP....???? 14 years 7 months ago #1732

Okay, so now I'm confused...should I be discussing the Mandolin chop with Dave or the Mandolin chopper????? :)
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder

Re:TO CHOP OR NOT TO CHOP....???? 14 years 6 months ago #1812

I'm a chopping fan. It works with the vocals and doesn't clash with the lead someone else may be taking. Playing counterpoint to the melody might be better but a little tricky to do on the fly without a rehearsal. On some songs an open chord rather than a chopped cord can sound downright awful with a thick pick and no control over the volume.
  • axelhead
  • Senior Boarder
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.080 seconds