Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: How do you properly string a mandolin?

How do you properly string a mandolin? 15 years 2 months ago #461

Can anybody please tell me how to properly string a mandolin?
  • dcone
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:How do you properly string a mandolin? 15 years 2 months ago #479

Replace one string at a time to keep the neck under tension.
Use the tuner to loosen the old string until it is visibly loose. I use a needle nose pliers to pull the end from the tuner. Then remove the loop end from the tail piece.

Connect the loop end of the new string to the tail piece. Thread the new string trough the tuner hole. Holding the end with my fingers, I turn the tuner until the string starts to grip. I turn the tuner until the sting gets close to in tune, then I stretch the sting by pulling with my fingers and then I tune it again. Repeat the procedure for all the strings. You'll have to retune constantly for the first ten minutes but about in a half hour things should be a lot better. I still am amazed how good an instrument sounds with a new set of strings.

If you decide the change strings a lot. Buy yourself a winder, it makes the process go much faster.
  • axelhead
  • Senior Boarder

Re:How do you properly string a mandolin? 15 years 2 months ago #499

Thanks Gerry...that was helpful...this is my first mandolin and I had never changed the strings before.
  • dcone
  • Gold Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Re:How do you properly string a mandolin? 15 years 1 day ago #912

Why does the neck need to be kept under tension?
  • MikeJansen

Re:How do you properly string a mandolin? 15 years 1 day ago #914

Good question. I don't know if keeping the instrument "under tension" is a myth or not. The theory is that the strings apply tension to the whole instrument and if you remove them all the wood will move a little. I've only seen bad things happen to really funky instruments where the neck visibly moves when there are no strings on it and moves again when you put strings on it. I don't think changing one string at a time will do any harm so I do it that way. Also, before the age of tuners, I would tune the new string to the old strings to get it in the ballpark.
  • axelhead
  • Senior Boarder

Re:How do you properly string a mandolin? 14 years 11 months ago #936

It's a good idea to keep tention on the neck. If you are not going to use the insturment for months on end, it should be detuned a little.
It is ok to remove all the strings for basic reparis such as dressing the fingerboard or bridge repairs- than strings should be put back on.
  • jim
  • Senior Boarder
  • jim bennett
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.093 seconds