Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Staying in Tune

Staying in Tune 15 years 4 weeks ago #703

I am the proud owner of three inexpensive mandolins. None of which seems to stay in tune for very long. I have new strings on one but they all seem to move around. My martin guitar stays in tune for what seems like forever. I replaced the tuners on one mandolin with a set of Shaller tuners which cost $60. They seem to be a little better but not much. Does anyone own a "better" mandolin that stays in tune for more than a few songs or is this that nature of the beast?
  • axelhead
  • Senior Boarder
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Staying in Tune 15 years 4 weeks ago #704

Placing good quality tuners on an inexpensive instrument is like using a high quality stereo tuner with really inexpensive speakers. Unfortunately, you will not get the results you are seeking. You will get slightly different results with better tuners but you shouldn't expect the instrument to sound (or stay in tune) like the higher quality mandolins. You are obviously aware of this from your past experience.

A good quality mandolin will stay in tune. May I suggest you recycle the older mandolins and invest in one better quality instrument. I will be happy to assist you in finding a good quality mandolin at a reasonable price. Feel free to contact me via email or phone.
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 50
Last Edit: 15 years 4 weeks ago by Administrator. Reason: spelling/grammar

Re:Staying in Tune 15 years 3 weeks ago #712

Once I change strings and they settle down(usually a day or two) both my mandolins stay in tune pretty well, until I put them in the case and take them out of the house. Then they both need a bit of tuning. If I don't leave the house, it can be several days between "touch-up" tuning and longer for a major retune. It also has a lot to do with how much and how hard you play!
  • pinky57
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Staying in Tune 15 years 3 weeks ago #721

try a little lubercant under the strings at the nut. i use vaseline mixed with graphite. jim
  • jim
  • Senior Boarder
  • jim bennett

Re:Staying in Tune 15 years 3 weeks ago #731

Hi Dave
  • deafstrum
  • Expert Boarder
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.072 seconds