Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Taking a following break ie.2nd, 3rd etc.

Taking a following break ie.2nd, 3rd etc. 15 years 2 months ago #525

We have been told in class to keep a steady rhythm tempo regardless of the tempo of the break. That it is up to the person playing lead to catch up or slow down to the rhythm tempo. My question is; if the lead is slow and I am taking a following break, do I come in at the correct spot with the rhythm tempo, cutting off the previous lead, or do I do an "Alice's Restaurant" and wait for the rhythm to come around again after the previous lead finishes?:unsure:
  • screendude
  • Gold Boarder
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Re:Taking a following break ie.2nd, 3rd etc. 15 years 2 months ago #531

I've always wondered that too, and meant to ask but always forgot. I know that I once just came in when I was supposed to and the other person wasn't finished, but I don't know if that's the right way....(probably not as it seems rude..:unsure: but then again it's all about the music... right?
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Re:Taking a following break ie.2nd, 3rd etc. 15 years 2 months ago #543

That's why I ask the question. I had a similar experiance and the other person kind off took offence. I didn't mean to be rude, I thought it was what I was supposed to do:blush: :huh:
  • screendude
  • Gold Boarder

Re:Taking a following break ie.2nd, 3rd etc. 15 years 2 months ago #545

What's the right thing to do Dave?????? Do we go for the music or do we go "rude"?
  • Tigerpaws
  • Platinum Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3

Re:Taking a following break ie.2nd, 3rd etc. 15 years 2 months ago #551

Your transition does not have to overlap the other lead player. In some cases, you may overlap with the intro. In other songs, you might want to skip the intro and start at the first measure of Part I. In other cases, many songs have an intro that starts on the 3rd or 4th beat where the lead has already ended.

The worse thing you can do is add a measure that isn't suppose to exist at the end of the song.

With pratice, you will only get better at transitioning to the lead and vice versa.

I will address this issue at an upcoming class.
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 50

Re:Taking a following break ie.2nd, 3rd etc. 15 years 2 months ago #559

Dave, what I am asking is, that if the person taking the break is late, or behind the rhythm, does the person taking the next break start on time with the rhythm, or wait untill the previous brake is completed, playing rhythm untill the start of the break comes around again?:dry:
  • screendude
  • Gold Boarder
  • Page:
Moderators: ckinzel
Time to create page: 0.088 seconds